Wednesday, July 1, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance - The Top 7 Couples, Top 14 Dancers

Mia Michaels is the guest judge tonight- I wonder what whacked out things she's going to come up with?!


Janette & Brandon - Cha Cha Cha - Jean Marc Genereux & France - Hush Hush; Hush Hush, by the Pussycat Dolls

I think Janette is just on fire tonight. And I find Brandon to be believable as her lovah, so I that's really goods. I thought he did a great job at being her partner instead of being showy for the audience- which is just something I look for, I don't know why. Nigel said it's the best Cha Cha ever seen on the show, and Brandon has "Michelangelo Feet." Mary, well we all know Mary LOVES Brandon. She stands up and screams "YOU TWO HAVE TWO FIRST CLASS TICKETS ON THE HOT TAMALE TRAIN!! WHOOO! WHOOO! WHOOO!" Mia tells Brandon the reason she was so tough on him before, was because she sees so much ability and potential in him. Wow, that was some serious spin Mia! Aww, Brandon starts crying. She says he's amazing and she wants amazing from him. Mia thinks Janette is brilliant and Miami should be very of her. TEMPO01


Kayla & Kupono - Jazz - Sonya Tayeh - A matter of life and death, vampire-esque - Eyes on Fire, by Blue Foundation.

I'm going to go out a limb here, but I kinda like it. I'm not a huge fan of either of them, but I have say that I thought it was very good. Kupono did a much better job than his he's done in his last few performances. Nigel agrees and thinks that it's a great partnership. Mary compliments Sonya on her great choreography- and I have to agree with that, too. It was a great routine, maybe that's why I liked it. Mia says that aesthetically, they are beautiful together and that, in her opinion, it's Sonya's best choreographed piece on the show. Kayla is wonderful and Kupona is getting better and better. She sees him growing and that's the most important thing, and all they can ask of him. So far, Mia had been on her best behavior, hmmm. TEMPO02


Randi & Evan - Broadway - Joey Dowling - Toxic relationship - Rich Man's Frug, from Sweet Charity (2005 Broadway Revival Cast)

I love Broadway routines, so I'm probably not the most impartial judge here! It's a pretty unique routine, and of course I always like Evan, but I really do think he was great tonight. Nigel, once again, praises Randi and tells Evan he needs to be better. Mary said she enjoyed it, but was kinda Meh about it. Mia told Randi she was dancing to heavily and that she knew she could do better than that. They really are both too short, with matching body types, to be partnered with each other. Oh, but Nigel did say the thought they were going to make it into the Top 10. TEMPO03


Jason & Caitlin - Pop Jazz - Brian Freidman - She's the leader and he's the follower- she's an alien impregnating the last human being on the planet. huh? - Creator, Santigold.

First, those costumes are hideous, bizarre and distracting. But on to the dancing. They seems much better than they did last week. I don't know if the strobe lights have something to do with that, but it's a pretty cool performance. Brian Freidman is one weird dude. Nigel says BF comes from another planet, haha, and that Caitlin's outfit looks like a dancing condom, to which Cat says "Safety First, Nigel!" I burst out laughing. Mary doesn't like it and doesn't feel like it played to their strengths. Mia thinks it was fine, but doesn't like Caitlin's outfit and found it completely wrong. She should have looked more Species alien and less Coneheads- meets aluminum foil- alien. TEMPO04


Jeanine & Phillip - Hip Hop - Napoleon & Tabitha D'umo - About what the dancers go through on the show, specifically with their partners. They will be dancing in chains. Love Lockdown, by Kanye West.

I can't wait to see Phillip in his element! I just don't get how he's able to do those things with this body. Jeanine isn't bad, either. The chain actually was a really good prop, and I'm not a prop fan. Nigel says that if they keep dancing like that they should be partners for life. Nigel calls Napoleon and Tabitha, Nappy Tabs, haha. Mary thought it was absolutely, incredibly creative- and she thinks they brought it on. Yea! She was very complimentary of Jeanine for being able to keep up with Phillip and wishes they could always be partners. On to Mia- who starts off with a nod to the fabulosity of Nappy Tabs, but she wasn't a fan of the chain. She thought it was a little unpredictable and sloppy. A little unintentional hilarity ensues when Jeanine is talking about the chains they practiced with and how much they had to practice with them in order to get it right. She said we have them everywhere, all over our apartment, which of course brought out the TMI comments, but it was a cute faux pas. TEMPO05


Melissa & Ade - Classical Pas de Deux - (this is the first time a classical PdD has ever been - Thordal Christensen - Romeo & Juliet, new, tender young lovers - Romeo & Juliet Prokofiev's Suite No. 1 Op. 64b, 6th Movement, by Orchestre De La Suisse Romande & Armin Jordan. Whew!

Wow, what a showcase for Melissa's ballet ability. She kinda reminds me of Julie Kent, when she danced the role of Juliet years ago. You could totally tell that she was loving every minute of it, like this was her dream come true. It was just beautiful. I love ballet. Nigel is very excited about the routine and how they've come full circle on SYTYCD, with having impregnating aliens and then a classical Pas de Deux. Mary loves it, and was very glad to see Melissa in her element. Mia liked the black and white Romeo & Juliet thinks it was brilliant and beautiful, she tells Melissa that she's a True Ballerina. My favorite couple, I'm rootin' for them!TEMPO06


Karla & Vitolio - Quickstep - Jean Marc Generaux - Puttin' On The Ritz, by Rufus Wainwright.

I would not want to be them tonight, especially with Kiss of Death Dance, the Quickstep. Maybe it's just me again, but Vitolio looks like a real ballroom dancer, so debonair. They do a cool costume change on Karla. Nigel thinks it was great, he thought it was a really entertaining routine and was glad to see Vitolio's personality out there. Mary says so much for the kiss of death dance, they brought it alive! She has some ballroom technical mumbo jumbo critiques for them, but overall she thinks it was fabulous. Mia tells Jean Marc he is a genius, from the costuming to the choreography. She's surprised how they stepped up, and wishes Vitolio would be more consistently good like he was tonight, but tat she was very proud of him. For Karla, Mia thought she looked scared a few times, but otherwise she was wonderful. TEMPO07



Everyone was so good tonight, I didn't think any couple had a bad performance. Of course some were better than others, but all of them were pretty solid. Here are my Top 3 Couples of the night:

  • Melissa & Ade
  • Janette & Brandon
  • Jeanine & Phillip

What do ya'll think about tonight's performances?



post signature

2 comments:

Hayley said...

I think that Brian Friedman needs to rethink his shit... It's all well and good to be creative and odd, but not to the point that you get your dancers sent home. I felt bad for them, even though I didn't exactly hate the routine. That outfit of hers, though- WAY DISTRACTING.

Can you believe that Mia was pretty normal?! I wonder if she's been laying off the doobage. I almost cried when Brandon started crying, and I'm totally blaming it on postpartum hormones.

Hayley said...

Oh, and R+J is my favorite ballet. I cried watching them. Again- HORMONES.

Post a Comment