Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Jesus, Where Are You?

On New Year's Day my aunt had the family over to her house for brunch. After we ate, the men went in one room to watch football and us ladies went into another room to watch the parade. Since football just has to be watched on the biggest and best screen in the house (dripping in sarcasm), the boys were in the family room and we were in the living room.

Spencer and living rooms don't mesh well together; they're like oil and water, salt and pepper, Yoko Ono and the Beatles. She immediately went over to the Nativity and started playing with animals and Mary, Joseph, and Jesus. I did NOT think this was a good idea, not at all, but my aunt was sitting beside her and said it was okay, that she was watching her. A few minutes later I was deeply engrossed in my new Kindle when I heard Spencer say "it's a missin'!" I didn't think too much about it because she likes to make things go missing so she can then say "I found it!" But then I felt a tug on my pant leg- I looked up at Spencer and saw she was holding a manger in her hands- a manger that was missing a particularly important baby.

And then I heard it.

Jesus, where are You?


There are some things that in this world that a person should just avoid, and losing the Baby Jesus is one of them. So we set about the house looking for Him, with Spencer continually yelling "Jesus, where are You?" It's not a huge house and my aunt is borderline OCD about keeping it pristine and clutter-free; losing anything there would be a challenge. But after 20 minutes of searching, the manger was still empty and Spencer was still yelling, hoping Baby Jesus would answer her. They men/boys were still fixated on football, telling us they had no idea where it was and they hadn't seen Jesus- basically, we were annoying them and they just wanted to watch the game in peace and quiet.

We eventually gave up our search, well, everyone except for Spencer. I've never seen her stay so focused on anything for that long, she just wouldn't give up! A little bit later she gleefully shouted "Jesus! There You are! I found it, I found it!" And guess where it was hiding? Underneath my dad- he was sitting on top of Baby Jesus. We probably won't let him live that one down for a long time! Of course my dad said he had no idea how that could've happened, he'd never even laid eyes on it before.

There are some things in this world that a person should avoid, and I'm certain that sitting on top of the Baby Jesus is one them.

post signature

5 comments:

Hayley said...

LOL I would LOVE it if someone in my family sat on the Baby Jesus. I'd use it against them all the time. "Well, YOU put your ass in Baby Jesus' face!" Priceless. Cade kinda does the same thing when he loses stuff, but only when he REALLY loses it. And it's usually his sippy cup with milk in it. He'll misplace it when he plays and forgets where, so he'll walk around the house calling out for his Milk, like it's a person. Cracks me up.

Also- Spencer needs to be a sweet, addiction-resistant child star. She is that funny and cute. I'd totally watch a cheesy sitcom if she were in it.

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog and wanted to say hello.

Your daughter is a cutie!

Meg said...

How cute is that? She was on the hunt for Baby Jesus--so cute! I am glad for her sake that she found him.

John & Michelle said...

OOOOOOweeeee that was funny!!!! I for sure wouldn't let him live that down!

SafeMom said...

LOL, I'm sorry but that was just too funny, I can just see that cutie hollering Jesus where are you? I loved your post, it made me smile on a night that I really didn't feel like smiling! Thank you!
Vanessa

Post a Comment