Friday, January 29, 2010

Project Runway

 

This week on Show Us How You Live we're sharing our best fashion tips.  I'm not so sure if mine are more rules than tips, but I think that's okay.  Back in the day, way in the day, my friends used to come over to house and shop in my closet.  My mom loves to shop and since she was the one buying my clothes, she usually bought what she liked for me.  This left me with a gigantic wardrobe, half of which I never, or rarely, wore more than once.  As I got older I tried to convey to her what my style was- sometimes this worked and sometimes I'd find a new a new kimono-esque dress hanging in my closet when I got home from school.  Of course most of my friends were jealous of me having a mom who loved to shop for me and I was grateful for all I'd been given- but (isn't there always a but) I didn't always act that way.  Basically what sums that all up is I just wanted her to "get" me and she wanted me to be happy with what she gave to me.  So all that unnecessary teen angst for those years, and me having tons of clothing options to pick from, gave me the opportunity to hone my Say Yes to the Dress and What Not to Wear abilitiesSo here are a some of my tips/rules for fashion.

**  Don't buy trendy outfits.  Go with something classic that will still be in style a few years down the road and pair it with some trendy accessories.  I know that "trendy" items are generally cheaper, but they'll either be out of date in three months or they'll have come apart by then. Invest in some pieces that will last you a long time and will never go out of style. (Click on the pics to take you to their site).


**  Try and make sure that every outfit has a little bit of flair, something that makes it your own.  It can be something like a bold scarf, flowered hair clips, fun earrings, or a cool purse.  No matter how boring your outfit is, it can be spiced right on up with just one piece of flair.  (And you can get that kinda stuff pretty cheap, well, except maybe for the purse.) Since I wear a lot of black, I usually try and wear a colorful pair of earrings with a matching hair accessory.  (Click on pictures to take you to their site)



**  If you wear leggings, make sure you're wearing them with something that covers your lady parts.

**  Don't get sucked into trends when the classic version is available.  Right now blue, purple and pink Uggs are all the rage.  I know they're really cute, but chances are they're just a passing trend and really, how many outfits go with pink or blue boots?  If Uggs are your thing, buy a pair that's brown, gray or black- they'll still be in style next year and you'll be able to wear them with more outfits.  If buying the standard colors seem boring to you, than get a modified style like the the sweater button boot.


**  Don't wear horizontal stripes unless you're a size 6 or under.  It doesn't matter  how skinny you are, horizontal stripes will always make you look bigger than you are.  If you like stripes and you just can't part with them, then make sure the stripe is very thin- the thicker the stripe the thicker you look.


**  If you're a mother with babies or small children, the best things to wear are either solid dark colored shirts/dresses or ones that have a dark or bold print on them.  Tops that are light and solid colored show EVERYTHING.  And since we all know that the little ones know how to mess up our clean clothes the second we put them on, the best thing is to wear something that camouflages the dirt!  If you don't like to wear dark colors, a light color for the background of the shirt/dress will work as long as it has a dark and large print on it.

 (All of these shirts can be found at Shade Clothing, or just click on the pictures to take you to them)
** Don't be match matchy with the store's mannequin.  Buy pieces of the outfit and partner it with something else.

**  For those days when you're bloated or feeling a little bit heavier than usual, it's best to wear a skirt.  They are way more forgiving than pants and you won't feel frumpy.

**  No matter what, make sure that you're comfortable with what you're wearing.  It doesn't matter how great you actually look- if you don't like it and you don't feel good wearing those clothes, don't!  When you like what you're wearing, you'll wear it better.

And those are my main tips and rules regarding fashion advice.  I hope I get to learn some new things from the rest of ya'll.  If you want to see my favorite places to shop, click HERE.
post signature

15 comments:

Kari said...

Good tips! I'm big on classic over trendy as well. And when all the color fads come and go, I'm glad that I have 'safe' colors in my clothes, shoes and accessories - except for maybe a couple items! You could help people with their wardrobes! You know people will pay you to give them this kind of info!

Beth McC. said...

Love all your tips!! I have those gray uggs and they are my favorite!!

Chari said...

I guess I'm the weird one that thinks Uggs are just...ugly :-)

Gill Family said...

Fun post!! Where is the purple shirt from... LOVE that...

Carrie said...

Great post! Love all the cute tops.

Maria said...

Great tips!!! It's so true that fashion changes after babies are born:)

Alyssa said...

Great tips!! I agree with Chari about Uggs though! Haha

Masala Chica said...

"If you wear leggings, make sure you're wearing them with something that covers your lady parts."

Such gems of wisdom, from one so young! ;-)

Love all your tips!
Kiran

Meg said...

Cute post with good tips. And FYI to the stripes rule, I am under your size limit and I would never in my right mind wear horizontal stripes, lol.

Micha said...

So, fashion is one area where I always feel clueless. I do lean very similar directions though, so I'm taking that to mean I'm doing something right - since you and Spencer always look so cute!

Bernie said...

Great tips! I totally agree with the flair one. I love adding flair to my outfits.

Thanks for sharing.

Warmly,

Bernie

Melissa's Thoughts said...

even is the uggs are Carolina blue? LOL Just Kidding.

Shoshanah said...

I think its interesting that you think blue and pink Uggs are big right now. I remember them being big 3 or so years ago, and really wanted blue Uggs, but never bought a pair. I don't think I've seen them anywhere since. Now how often would I have worn them... probably not a lot. But still part of me wants them.

Anonymous said...

Good tips! I agree about accessories, it's best to buy the trendy items such as a purse, jewelry etc and save the investment on quality and classic clothing that will last.

Hayley said...

I cannot accessorize to save my life. I have a passion for handbags, but that's it! I only ever wear my wedding ring.

Uggs aren't the best looking shoe ever, but man I love mine! They're so comfortable. I have one in each color, plus the sweater boots :)

LOL my version of classic: Jeans and a hoodie haha

Post a Comment