Tuesday, April 5, 2011

A Terrifed Parent

Last night, before I went to sleep, I went over to Spencer to give her a kiss, when I saw that her face was covered in chocolate.  I turned on light to look at my sleeping beauty- why was she covered in chocolate?  Only it wasn't chocolate; it was blood, and it was everywhere.

I'd like to tell you that I was completely calm and didn't overreact, but that's exactly what I did.  I started ripping off all her clothes to see where it was coming from and shaking her to wake wake up.  In my state of complete panic, I didn't think about how my reaction to this was going to scare her, and of course, she woke up scared. As she started to cry, her nose started to bleed (again), which was how I realized what I was actually dealing with was a bloody nose and not lethal wound of some sort.

Now that it's morning I'm able to be calm about all of this, but last night, the bloody nose scared the life out of me.  She has never had a nose bleed and then all of a sudden she has a major one while she's sleeping- what is that?  The next hour was not the most pleasant, as I had to stop the bleeding and Spencer didn't want her nose touched.  Then there was the clean up...

This entire experience has taught me a few lessons, well, more than a few.  I've never had a bloody nose in my life and this was Spencer's first, so I had no idea what was I doing.  Realizing that my reaction completely terrified Spencer, I felt so bad that I made an already scary situation worse.  It took awhile for her to calm down and go back to sleep and by that time I was wide awake, so I decided to look online for some answers.  I wanted to know why this happened and what I should do if/when she has a bloody nose the next time. 

1.  Bloody noses at nighttime are generally happen during allergy season and when the air is very dry.  You can fix this by having a humidifier in the room and putting some Vaseline inside of the nose.  (I can't imagine a world in which Spencer lets me put Vaseline in her nose, so I'm not sure what to do about that.) 

2.  Contrary to popular norms, you should not have them tilt their head backwards and pinch the bridge of their nose.  You need to have your child lean forwards and pinch the base of their nose-this will stop any gushing prevent, blood from going down their throat, and it will clot much more quickly. 

3.  Don't panic!  The good thing to remember is that bloody noses are almost never cause for concern.  The main reasons kids have them is because they pick their noses.  Their nasal passages don't have the thickest of skin yet and the blood vessels are closer to the surface.  So when they pick their noses, they sometimes scratch the surface without realizing it and then something as benign as a sneeze will start the nose bleed. 

4.  Sporadic nose bleeds are normal in small children, but if this is happening frequently, go to the doctor.  You should also go to the doctor if you can't stop the bleeding after ten minutes. 

5.  Don't panic!  I know I'm writing this again, but it's very important.  Something like this is really scary for kid and if they see that their parent is scared, it will make it all the more frightening for them.  Trust me, I know.  As difficult as it may be to not freak out when you see your baby with a bloody nose, remember it's a fairly normal thing.
aining calm will

Spencer is 100% perfectly fine today.  She did ask me if her nose was going to bleed again, but that's all she's said about it.  I'm trying not to be a hovering helicopter, but it's that's hard for me- I'm naturally a worry wart who can't let things go.  But I'm trying!  And if this ever happens again, I feel better knowing what I should and shouldn't do.


post signature

12 comments:

King J's Queen said...

The first nosebleed is always "fun". We've been dealing with them for several years now (occasionally, of course) and I still hate the clean up part. At least she doesn't cry about it anymore, which makes tears in the nose, causing the mess to spread even further.

We use the Vaseline in the nostrils for E. The first time she wasn't too thrilled (she was about 2), but we told her it would help prevent another nosebleed and we let her do it herself, under supervision. It wasn't a perfect application, but body heat allows it to melt and move around for coverage. Good luck!

JJK said...

Hi there. My son got a nose-bleed due to a face plant on the floor (he's learning to walk) and I really freaked out. I had never had a nosebleed before so I had no idea what to do! It's hard not to panic when there's blood involved! Glad to hear she is ok!

Meg said...

Aw poor kiddo and poor Mama--that's scary. I glad i was just a nose bleed and I'm sure it's nothing, but hopefully for you both that doesn't happen again.

Amanda said...

I used to get them every so often (haven't had one in a while, knock on wood) and while this probably sounds really gross (sorry!) but I never held my head back. Instead, I would let the blood drip into a Kleenex for a bit and then I'd blow my nose to get it all out. There would be some mucus and blood clots come out but as soon as they came out, my nose immediately dried up. (Again, I know that sounded super gross but I couldn't be any less descriptive) Not sure if that is the right thing to do but it always worked for me!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh my goodness! What a scary thing! So glad that she is ok though and now you know how to react next time!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Bless your heart. I'm so sorry you had to go through that. I used to have chronic nose bleeds when I was little. It happened a lot at night and I remember them so well. I will pray that Miss S doesn't have to go through this again...nor you.

Anonymous said...

Excellent post! I didn't have nosebleeds either, but my 11-year old son has them. Recently, he was sick and he had several in one day. The last one was so bad that DH did consider taking him to the ER. But, it finally stopped. Then, DH told our son to hold a damp rag over his nose and breathe through it. This moistened his nasal passages very well. Plus, I took out the trusty vaporizer and plugged it in. He didn't have another nosebleed. Phew!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I'm late to this post (catching up) but Bruce gets bloody noses in the really dry air as well. It made me nervous the first time it happened but when we ran a humidifier it seemed to help. I would have freaked out too!

Unknown said...

I loved this post
tory burch online outlet

chenlili said...

chenlili20150907
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet online
uggs on sale for women
adidas trainers
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
prada handbags
ugg boots
celine bags
gucci outlet
michael kors
cheap oakleys
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
coach factory outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton outlet
vans shoes sale
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton handbags
longchamp soldes
ugg boots cheap
gucci bags
jordan retro 13
jordan 4 toro
ed hardy clothing

Anonymous said...

http://www.michaelkors-outletfactory.us.com
air huarache shoes
replica christian louboutin
michael kors outlet online
fitflops outlet
michael kors outlet
michael jordan shoes
cheap oakley sunglasses
air huarache shoes
kobe byrant shoes
cheap jordans
jordan retro
tiffany jewelry
michael kors handbags
cheap true religion jeans
michael kors outlet store
oakley sunglasses wholesale
tiffany online
fitflops outlet
michael kors outlet
fitflop sandals
ralph lauren online
http://www.raybanglasses.in.net
kobe shoes
cheap air jordan
cheap oakley sunglasses
cheap uggs
kobe shoes
michael kors outlet online
michael kors outlet store
cheap jerseys from china
cheap oakley sunglasses
ralph lauren online,cheap ralph lauren

Unknown said...

fitflops uk
swarovski crystal
hollister clothing store
rolex watches for sale
michael kors handbags
lululemon outlet
louis vuitton bags cheap
hermes belt for sale
nike air huarache
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ray ban sunglasses
cheap oakley sunglasses
bottega veneta outlet online
louis vuitton sunglasses
mulberry handbags
rolex watches
fitflops clearance
michael kors handbags
mulberry outlet
true religion outlet uk
fitflops sale clearance
michael kors outlet
swarovski crystal
ralph lauren polo
polo ralph lauren
tory burch outlet
oakley sunglasses uk
christian louboutin outlet
nike air max
tiffany jewellery
nike blazer pas cher
pandora outlet
longchamp pliage
nike huarache
20160523caihuali

Post a Comment