Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Air Up There

There is something about this "cun-tree" air that just makes me want to sleep and sleep.  (that's how they say country down here in the Middle of Nowhere, North Carolina)  I think it has something to do with how quiet it is here combined with some unknown sleep factor.  We wake up early every day and do farming type things, then we eat lunch and everyone takes a nap. Today we went into town and at about 2pm, Spencer, Great-Gran, and I started yawning and all we could talk about was how much we wanted to take a nice long nap.  Since town is about a 30 minute drive away and we were smack dab in the middle of errands, there was no nap to be had by any of us. 

But that didn't stop me from being productive- in fact, I actually baked one of the best things I've ever, in the history of time, made.  It's for breakfast tomorrow, but when it came out of the oven it just smelled so delish that we had to have a slice before wrapping it up. Want to see?




It's the most delicious cinnamon and sugar bread and I think it's the best thing that I've ever made.  I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe and made a few tweaks to it.  Here's my version for your viewing pleasure!

Ingredients
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 6 Tablespoons Butter
  • 2-½ teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
  • 2 whole Eggs
  • ⅓ cups Sugar + 2 Tbsps
  • 3-½ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • 2/3 cups Sugar
  • 3 Tablespoons Cinnamon
  • Egg And Milk, Mixed Together, For Brushing
  • Softened Butter, For Smearing And Greasing

Directions 
  • Melt butter with milk. Heat until very warm, but don’t boil. Allow to cool until it's very warm, but not quite hot. (Should not be steaming) Sprinkle yeast over the top and stir gently. Let it sit for 10 minutes.
  • Combine flour and salt.
  • Blend sugar and eggs with a mixer. Pour in milk/butter/yeast mixture (after it's sat for 10 mins) and stir to combine. 
  • Add half the flour and beat on medium speed until combined. Add the other half and beat until combined. 
  • At this point it might be too difficult for you to use your regular mixer.  If you have a KitchenAid mixer, you will be fine, but if you don't, you'll have to knead the dough yourself for at least 10 minutes. The dough should not be too sticky and if it is, add a little more flour and keep on working the dough until it's right.
  • In a large bowl, drizzle in a little canola oil, then toss the dough in the oil to coat. Cover bowl in plastic wrap or a with a clean cloth and put it in the microwave for at least two 2 hours.
  • When the two hours are up,  Turn dough out onto your work surface and punch it out.
  • Roll into a neat rectangle no wider than the loaf pan you’re going to use, and about 18 to 24 inches long. 
  • Smear with 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
  •  Mix sugar and cinnamon together, then sprinkle evenly over the butter-smeared dough. Starting at the far end, roll dough toward you, keeping it tight and contained. Pinch seam to seal. 
  •  Smear loaf pan with softened butter. Place dough, seam down, in the pan. Cover with plastic wrap, put in back in the microwave and allow to rise for 2 more hours. 
  •  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  •  Mix a little egg with milk, and smear over the top. 
  •  Bake for 40 minutes on a middle/lower rack in the oven. 
  •  Remove from the pan and allow bread to cool

After all that work, you'll have the best cinnamon and sugar break that you've ever tasted.  And you can do fun things with it like this, haha!


post signature

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Lady, you can't blog about this stuff and include pictures. No, seriously. Because now I'm going to wreck to my diet and stuff my face with cookies to compensate.

That looks sooooo good. Especially since I've only had liquids for the past three days.

Glad you guys are having fun in the cun-tree! I'm a little jealous :)

Micha said...

I've been wanting to try this! Now I'm going to have to :)

Looks deeee-lish.

Shoshanah said...

I've time I've seen that Pioneer Woman recipe I want to make it! It definitely looks delicious, and I'm glad at least someone I know tried it out.

raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors handbags
basketball shoes
air force 1 shoes
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
nike store
michael kors handbags
michael kors handbags

Post a Comment