Monday, September 13, 2010

The Circle of the Drain of Life

This week(end) Spencer had Backyard Bible School.  In my day, we received stickers, Smarties, Dum-Dums, and candy bars (if we said the Theme Memory Verse), for doing things like bringing our Bible, bringing a friend, saying our memory verse, or doing certain art projects.  I can't begin to explain the excitement for me as a 5 year old at the prospect of getting a king sized Hersey's chocolate bar.  In some ways, not much changed- little toys, pieces of candy, and art projects, etc.  And then came the Carassius auratus auratus, aka the Goldfish.

The kids were learning about Jonah and the Whale when I saw a friend of mine, and fellow parent, walk through the door holding a large bag of water.  As she got closer, I thought there were little plastic fish in it.  And then I it all became clear what was inside:  real, live, swimming fish.  Slowly, realization poured over me- Spencer was going to bring home a goldfish. 

It was actually kinda funny, because all of us parents pretty much had the same reaction. We were going to bring home this fish, buy it supplies, while our kids fell in love with it, and then in 48 hours it would most likely make it's way to Goldfish Heaven.  My first inclination was just to keep Spencer away from them and she would never know the difference if we didn't bring one home with us.  And then I thought about how excited I would have been about bringing home a REAL LIVE FISH from Bible School: it made a king size Hershey bar seem like a Tootsie Roll.  So as much I was not looking forward to being responsible for "killing" a fish, I didn't want Spencer to miss out on it.  And so, the goldfish, who was black, came home with us in a little water filled baggie.

I would love to tell you that after spending $18 at the pet store on a bowl, special de-chlorination and de-chloramination water drops, flaky fish food and pink and gold rocks for the bottom, that we are still the proud owners of a fish. I would love to tell you that even though Spencer pointed and said "Mama, look at that man!" in regards to the very large, fully clothed in leather, bandanna wearing, tattooed all over motorcycle man in the fish food aisle, that we are still the proud owners of a fish.  I would love to tell you that even after the aforementioned comment and the motorcycle guy came up to us and recommended the best water drops and fish food, that we are still the proud owners of a fish. I would love to tell you that I didn't spend two hours setting up his/her future humble abode, making sure he/she had acclimated to the water before releasing it from the baggie, and watching as he/she ate the food- just to make sure it had eaten, that we are still the proud owner of a fish.  And I would really love to tell that after making sure he/she had made it through the night before leaving for church that I didn't come home from church two hours later and find said fish floating on top of the water: the poor thing didn't even make it 24 hours. 

Here lies the problem- do I use this as a "life lesson" on death or do I replace the fish without Spencer knowing?  I've managed to keep her away from the fish bowl all day, but eventually she's going to see it. I don't really have a problem with getting another fish and having her be none the wiser- I just don't want to keep buying fish only to have them die one day later.  Any recommendations about low maintenance, cheap-ish fish that have a longer life expectancy?  Would a goldfish be happier if he had a friend swimming with him?  Did I do something wrong that inadvertently killed this one?

Even though this was a bit of a fish debacle, Spencer had a really great time at Bible School and she hasn't stopped talking about it or the fish.  I also really love that my Sunday School teacher told the Backyard Bible stories and will now be her Sunday School teacher (yesterday was promotion Sunday and Spencer moved up an age group).  It does make me feel super old, though, haha!

 Okay, so fish ideas, please!

post signature

9 comments:

Miss I said...

If you end up wanting to get another fish, beta fish are the way to go. Mine lived for a long time....until the cat got to it. They dont require a lot of attention. Spencer might get a kick of getting to choose out of all the pretty colored ones.

bobbi said...

Second vote for a beta fish here! I am in the rather precarious position of taking care of Drew's Bible School fish while he is on vacation! Should he also not SURVIVE till Drew returns - this grammy is buying a BETA FISH!

Already Happy said...

I think goldfish are hard to keep in bowls sometimes. I tried it once too, and someone told me I probably suffocated him(her?)because there wasn't enough surface area to get oxygen or something like that... Maybe you could get a small tank with a pump?

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Maybe she'll forget about it? That's a tough one. Maybe try with one more goldfish and if that dies then you can use it as an opportunity to give her a life lesson.

Life and death aside, it's a shame to waste all that money ...

Shoshanah said...

I remember winning a goldfish at a school carnival once. Although I don't ever remember having it in my house, so I guess actually winning it was more excited for me.

As for a fish alternative I'd go with a beta fish too. I remember a lot of friends having them in college, and they lived sometimes for a semester or too.

KK said...

I don't know what you should tell her, but I doubt you did anything wrong. Fish just don't do well in a bowl :)

FootPrints said...

ha ha love this post...maybe we'll stay away from having pets a while longer.

raybanoutlet001 said...

michael kors handbags outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors handbags
ed hardy outlet
cheap michael kors handbags
ralph lauren outlet
supra shoes
nike huarache
nike air max 90

xjd7410@gmail.com said...

20161107 junda
louboutin pas cher
ferragamo shoes
uggs outlet
canada goose outlet
swarovski crystal
cheap mlb jerseys
true religion uk
hermes birkin
ugg boots
fitflops sale

Post a Comment