Monday, October 4, 2010

Two Weeks Notice

"If a tree falls in a forest and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?"  I think that best describes how I feel about blogging and my real life; if I blog something, it becomes reality, but if I don't, then I can delude myself into a lovely state of denial.  So here it is: my Spencer started preschool.

I've tried to start this post a hundred times and then I'd get all weepy and quickly abandon it.  Writing it all down meant that I was officially the mother of a three year old in preschool and I wasn't quite prepared for such a thing.  But now that we are two weeks into it, I'm now ready to say, "Hi, my name is Katie and I'm the mother of a three year in preschool."

I really wasn't expecting to feel so emotional about this, but as the first day of school approached, I felt increasingly more sad.  I mean, two days a week for three hours a day isn't exactly a lengthy separation, so why was I freaking out? There were never any doubt in my mind that Spencer would go to preschool this year- in fact, I'd started researching programs well over a year ago. I couldn't be happier with the school she's going to; I love their approach to learning, the staff, that it's strictly a preschool and not part of daycare system, and the actual building itself.  But I still felt/feel kinda heartsick.

I never really understood homeschooling your children.  Getting out and going to school provides them  a well balanced and rounded education and it gives moms a few hours to themselves to get some things done, maybe take a well deserved nap.  It probably didn't hurt that I loved going to school and would try and fake not having a temperature if I was sick so I wouldn't miss a day. (Crazy kid!)  So, naturally, I thought I would love Spencer going to school just as much as I loved going; wrong. I firmly believe one of the best gifts a parent can give to their child is a love of learning and a great education.  But in the back of mind, I'm starting to understand why some families decide to literally take on that challenge themselves.  For me, I'm jealous; I'm jealous, green with envy, of Spencer's teacher.  I want to watch her learn things and I want to see that look of excitement she gets on her face when she's learned something new.I feel like I'm missing out on something.

Even so, I'm very aware my own limitations and I know going to this preschool is what's best for Spencer.  And she loves it!  Every morning when she wakes up, she asks me "is this my school day?" And when I say yes, she always tells me "that's my favorite day!"  To which I jokingly respond, "what am I, chopped liver?" And with her most serious voice and you're-crazy-mom look, she tells me "No silly goose, you're Mommy."  It's our little morning routine.

Spencer has adjusted marvelously.  Actually, there was no adjustment for her, I walked her in on the first day and she went right into her room, sat down, and waved goodbye; no tears, no nothing.  It was as if she'd been doing this her whole life. I, on the other hand, had to fight back my tears until I made it to the car.  And then I went Sara's house so she could comfort me, haha! 

Without further ado, here are some of the pictures I took of Spencer on the first day of school.


 

 

post signature

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god she looks adorable!!!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

I would have been bawling. But her confidence only speaks volumes to what you've done as a mother - you've done such a wonderful job.

KK said...

Bless your heart, that must be hard, but so good for her!

Amanda said...

Oh my gosh, why does she look so big in these pictures?!?! I mean really, it was like she decided to become a little girl now. I felt the same way about Preslei, it was like BAM, she's not my wee little one anymore, she is a big girl going to school! I bet she is loving school! :) :)

chillynd said...

Spencer is one tall chickadee!! Pre-school is hard, huh? Sounds like S is doing so well with it though!

moosmamma said...

Seems like just yesterday FP was doing two days a week in preschool... she was much like Spencer,,, just wandered in and waved me off... she couldn't wait to start school. Now she is in kindergarten... all day.... it darn near killed me when we pulled into the school parking lot and she says... okay mom... I can go by myself....I was like um.... no.... it was hard to get used to... but I'm learning... (insert tear)... I have to admit...when she stayed home from school yesterday because she wasn't feeling good.... I enjoyed snuggle time and just having her home with me sooooooo much : )

Shoshanah said...

Spencer is so cute! And I know I saw this everytime, but I can't get over how blue her eyes are. But I can only what a wreck I'm going to be when my own babies start pre-school

Unknown said...

zhengjx20160405
louis vuitton outlet online
timberland outlet
louis vuitton
louis vuitton handbags
oakley sunglasses wholesale
lebron james shoes 13
cheap basketball shoes
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors handbags
coach factorty outlet
air jordan 4
hollister kids
louis vuitton handbags
oakley sunglasses
coach factory outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors handbags
toms wedges
ray ban sunglasses outlet
jordan retro 8
nike trainers uk
prada outlet
michael kors handbags
nike running shoes for women
cheap jerseys
michael kors outlet online
nfl jerseys
louis vuitton handbags
true religion outlet online
ed hardy outlet
coach outlet
ralph lauren outlet
replica watches
ray bans
coach factory outlet
ray ban sunglasses
coach outlet
mont blanc
ray ban sunglasses
ray ban sunglasses uk

Post a Comment