Thursday, October 2, 2008

Thoughts on Live Television



Since there is no TiVo or FauxVo here in The Middle Of Nowhere, North Carolina, I am forced to watch tv live. That means I have to choose which show I want to watch the most, since I can't tape two shows at once. Tonight, alone, I missed three season premieres! I'm used to reminders that let me know when something I like is going to be on tv. Because there is no Guide, I completely forgot that Lipstick Jungle was now coming on Wednesdays. Ugh, my level of live tv frustration has never been more high.

One of my favorite aspects of FauxVo is the library. When faced with stinky late night tv, I just watch a tried and true favorite episode that I saved. Here, I'm forced to watch the actual programming- the Horror! Fast-forwarding through commercials is a luxury I have taken for granted, never again. I feel a little pathetic that I am so dependent on my DVR when there are some people here who don't even have running water, or indoor plumbing, or dishwashers. But they don't have a one year old who bit them so hard on the neck that it looks like the mother of all hickeys, then threw up in the stroller, followed by pooping in the bathtub - at the end of the bath. My DVR is an essential escape mechanism that makes all that crap, literally, bearable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment