Thursday, July 22, 2010

Look at This Stuff, Isn't it Neat?

Wouldn't you think my collection's complete?

For all of those who guessed it was Ariel on the cake, you are correct! But since I said the first person to guess would win the prize, the winner is Tri-Star from Loving Every Moment. Email me for your prize! Which is, thanks to my great swagbucks, a $5 gift Amazon gift card. 

So how did Ariel end up looking like that? It's a rather lengthy story that I'm going to condense to spare you some time.  On Spencer's birthday we went on a mom and daughter trip to Williamsburg to go to Snow-to-Go, which is the best shaved ice on the planet. Plus they stuff it with soft serve ice cream (which don't get) and I knew Spencer would love it. The excursion took a bit longer than I planned on because we got a late a start and then a huge storm came as I was driving us home.  So when we finally made it to my parent's house, it was after 4pm.  When we got there, my mom reminded me that we needed to stop by another birthday party that was going on right then for another little girl at our church.  I was a little panicked because I needed to put Spencer's cake in the oven. My dad volunteered for the job and said he would put it in and take it out to cool and then I could ice it when we got back from the party. I was a little hesitant, as I always bake her birthday cake for her actual birthday family celebration party, but my dad said not to worry, it would be fine.

When we got back from the party my dad was standing in the kitchen and I could tell something was wrong.  He apologized a million times and then said Ariel's entire face had come off when he turned the pan over to slide out the cake.  The cake pan was in the shape of Ariel, with every one of her features very distinctive and defined.  When I looked at what was left, there was just a flat surface with some holes in it. I kinda freaked out, but not too much because I didn't want my dad to feel any worse than he already did.  So with no guide lines, I did the best I could.  Because of all the holes I had to fill, I ran out of icing and had to improvise even more than I already was doing.  And that's how I managed to create that beautiful specimen you saw before!

 But Spencer didn't seem to mind, she said it was "so so beautiful!"

post signature

7 comments:

michelle ellis said...

I think you did so great! That was so sweet of you to not make your Dad feel bad : )

Mrs. Walk said...

Let's get to the real burning question: What flavor did you get at Sno-2-Go?

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Ohh, the memories. Your poor dad! My dad gave a similar "please don't be mad" when he shrunk one of my sweaters!

Tris-star said...

Woohoo Thanks!

I think it's a cute cake and your dad's sweet for helping you out!

Roland D. Yeomans said...

We need to see more through the eyes of children where even mistakes are seen as "so beautiful" as long as they are presented in love.

My half-Lakota mother raised me by herself, and it fostered a rare, loving friendship that has enriched me each day of my life.

The same will be true of Spencer I know, Roland

ZDub said...

Your poor dad! I think you did a great job, Spencer loved it and that is what counts!

Ron Cooper said...

Looks like a fun birthday!

Stop by my blog, “Inspire!” for inspirational messages!

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

http://apps.facebook.com/blognetworks/blog/inspire_343432/

Post a Comment