Thursday, March 25, 2010

Ms. Clean, Ms. Clean

Anyone who knows me in real life is probably going to laugh out loud at this post because I can't stand to clean; I avoid it like white pants after Labor Day.  But this week's Show Us Your Life  at Kelly's Korner is about our best cleaning tips, which, oddly enough I am an expert on!  Well, an expert for the Lazy Person or Hates to Clean Person, but still knows it must be done.  Since I am not a fan of household chores, I've slowly figured out what works for me and what doesn't and I think I've got it down to a science.  So if you don't like to clean but can't afford someone to do it for you, I'm pretty sure these will help you out!
My Best Tips
Regular Maintenance & Upkeep

1.  Separate cleaning supplies:  I keep separate cleaning supplies in each area that needs regular attention.  Every bathroom has what it needs to be kept clean, the laundry room has it's supplies as does the kitchen. Trash bags in every area are a must as are paper towels!  This really helps because you can tackle something right when it happens instead of putting it off; my usually excuse was "Oh, I'll take care of it the next time I'm in here and I have my supplies.  Then I'd forget and the process would repeat itself.  And it really doesn't cost more either, because you run out of cleaning materials much less quickly then if you were just using one stash for everything.

2.  In the bathrooms:  I am a big fan of Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower Cleaner.  It keeps your shower looking nice and fresh until you're ready to do a good scour and scrub.  And it makes that whole process much easier and quicker since there isn't that much left to do.  I also like the disposable, biogradeable toilet scrubbers that you can flush after using.  Those might be a little more expensive, but I hated looking at a nasty scrub brush and so I'd then throw it out and go buy a new one.  Scrubbing Bubbles is the only one of I know that is both disposable and biodegradeable, but if you know of others please let me know! 

3.  In the kitchen:  I don't have a dishwasher, except for me, and that really stinks.  But I refuse to use paper products so something's gotta give.  There really are only two options for avoiding a sink full of nasty dishes and those are- rinse off and leave in the sink for later or wash right away.  I usually wait until the end of the day to wash them, but it's much easier if I don't have to scrape off dried food particles.  I use a scrub brush and I soak it in bleach every night to get rid of any lingering bacteria.  Don't use sponges, they are nasty!

Even though I don't have a dishwasher now, I did for many years prior to living in this house.  So here is my tip for those of you lucky enough to have one (so everyone, right?);  buy these.  It's the Oxi-Clean Automatic Dishwashing Detergent, and when you use it you don't have to pre-rinse!  It always baffled me as to the purpose of a dishwasher if you had to pre-rinse everything before using it.  But with that detergent you don't have to PR and it gets the dishes clean on the first wash cycle.  (Am I the only one who lets a dish stay in the dishwasher for multiple cycles until it's clean?)  Of course, if you are one of those super lucky people, the best thing to have is a dishwasher that eliminates the need for the PR.  My parents got one a few months ago and let me tell you!  That bad boy can clean anything in one wash.  One day...

4.  All the other rooms:  I have a two year old so I need to do some type of carpet cleaning daily.  Since I don't like to lug out my huge vacuum every day (which means I'd end up leaving it out all the time) I have one of those little carpet sweepers.  Unless we have some type of disaster, it's what I use; it gets the job done both quickly and easily, plus it's very light weight and compact. Perfect!  I usually do a major carpet clean, wash, and vacuum every weekend or every other weekend, depending on what type of catastrophe has occurred. 

For the Big Clean

As unpleasant as it is, no matter how much maintenance and upkeep you do, you still have to have do a full house cleaning every so often.  In the winter I usually do it once a month but in the summer it's every two weeks.  For me, this is the best way:

1.  A fun playlist:  Have a great play list full of upbeat music with which you can sing along.  Nothing takes your mind of the task at hand better than a good song.  I mean, it's next to impossible not smile when Bon Jovi's Livin' On a Prayer is playing!

2.  Just clean, don't organize.  These are two separate tasks and if you attempt to do them both then you will get side tracked and end up getting very little accomplished.  I know that when I'm cleaning it can be very easy to want to sort and alphabetize and all those type of things, but it really is just another way for me to avoid doing the nitty-gritty cleaning.

3.  Give yourself a break.  I either take a 10 minute break after each room or every hour.  It helps to keep my energy levels up and at the beginning of every room or 50 minutes, it's in the back of my mind that if I can just get through this, I can relax for a few minutes.  (I take this approach with studying, too.)

4.  Do your best to keep the kiddos out of the house.  I know it's not always possible, but for me, it's next to impossible to do a major cleaning with Spencer in the house.  The best and most efficient way you can clean your house is to do it alone.  Plus it's easier to rock out to your music if no one is around, haha!

5. Clean one room at a time.  Accomplish your task and move on, don't clean all the windows in the house- do all the windows in in one room.  This way, if something happens and you have to stop, you at least have one or two rooms finished rather than a bunch of rooms done half-way.

6.  Wash, Dust, and then Vacuum.  The vacuuming should be your last step in the process because you don't want to have to do it multiple times.  And it gives a nice sense of completion to a room.

I hope you learned a few things you didn't know before.  I know that I'm always trying to find new ways to make cleaning easier, so please tell me if you have any great tips!

post signature

21 comments:

Jen said...

Great tips :) I'm going to follow your advise withbtge cleaning supplies in the rooms, perhaps then I will stop procrastinating about cleaning all the time :p

KK said...

Oh dear, I think my comment got lost. Anyway, the keeping supplies everywhere is huge for me.

Lesli said...

Great tips! Thanks!

Newlywed Next Door said...

Totally agree about the good playlist!

Bonnie @ House of Grace said...

Great Tips!!! I am your newest follower! Stop by when you can!
Bonnie
http://creatingahouseofgrace.blogspot.com

Adrienne said...

I am here from friday follow love the blog and you little gal is adorable

Anonymous said...

Love this! I really need it too, thank you.
Following from Friday Follow.

Summer said...

What great tips! I just heart you girly! I laughed right out loud about the scrubbing bubbles shower machine I have one and LOVE IT and thought I was the only one who actually bought one LOL....ya know I don't like to clean either at all....I do it but I don't like it LOL

xoxo
Summer :0)

Dimes2Vines said...

Happy FF - Have a wonderful weekend!

Beth McC. said...

Wash, Dust, and then Vacuum - this is going to be my new motto!! Thanks for sharing and Happy Friday!

Ron Cooper said...

Love the "sweet feet" pix!

I’m your latest Friday Follower! I would appreciate a follow-back on Google Friends Connect and/or Networked Blogs.

http://inspiredbyron.blogspot.com/

http://apps.facebook.com/blognetworks/blog/inspire_343432/

T + 2 said...

Oh Katie, how alike we are! Every one of these tips matches my own ha ha!

Anonymous said...

I'm your newest follower from FF. Can't wait to read more, stop by my blog sometime! Happy FF!

-K

http://mypottyseat.blogspot.com/

diamondstatecurlygurl said...

I happened upon your blog today (I've been on spring break, but stuck inside with allergies- which turned out to be great blog reading time!).. and couldn't stop reading! Spencer is just beautiful - and those pics of her little feet brought back a flood of great memories (my babies are young adults now) - stinky, sweaty and all!!

H said...

Following from Friday Follow. Great tips as I hate cleaning too and am always looking for ways to get it done faster and easier. Have a great weekend.

Krissy said...

I totally agree that I hate to clean BUT know tons of useless information ABOUT cleaning. I guess there is a lot of us around! lol

Following from Friday Follow! :) I like your blog!! I hope you follow and visit back. We have a friday follow giveaway going on!

http://theartsymom.tk

Marsha said...

Kate, I found your blog through Friday Follow and I love it! You're doing an amazing job raising your precious little girl. Hope you have a lovely weekend!

Claire said...

Oooh, I like the cleaning supplies tip!

Cxx

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

We do a lot of the same things.. I keep supplies everywhere, and we do not currently have a dishwasher-- and I HATE doing the dishes... so it is an end of day thing for me too!

Heather said...

Hello there! Found you on Laura's blog (Purse Blogger)

These are great tips! Following now!

http://www.gerberdaysblog.com

Anonymous said...

nfl jerseys
michael kors factory outlet
nike kobe sneakers
michael kors outlet online
chrome hearts online store
fitflops
mlb jerseys authentic
cheap oakley sunglasses
tiffany and co outlet
ralph lauren polo shirts
chrome hearts online
cheap oakley sunglasses
chrome hearts wholesale
toms outlet store
jordan retro
michael jordan shoes
ralph lauren uk
michael kors handbags sale
air jordan retro
jordans for cheap
michael kors outlet
oakley store online
tiffany and co outlet online
ugg outlet
michael kors handbags
retro jordans
michael kors outlet online
nfl jerseys
oakley sunglasses
air jordans,cheap air jordans,air jordan shoes,air jordan 11,air jordan 13,air jordan 6,air jordan 4
tiffany and co outlet
kobe basketball shoes
discount sunglasses

Post a Comment