Friday, September 4, 2009

Acts of Kindness

Yesterday afternoon I went to the mailbox, as I always do, expecting to find nothing in it but bills. When I opened the door I saw a little red envelope. (And no bills!) I hadn't ordered anything recently, and it's not my birthday, so my first thought was that the Letter Carrier must have put it in the wrong mailbox. But when I took it out, there was my name written in big bold letters.
I was so excited!
Something for me!
That I didn't order for myself!

I had to force myself not to open it until I got back to the house- so I could savor the moment, haha. When I got to my porch I sat down and opened the envelope, reading the card first. It was from my college Roomie, Beth- kind and encouraging words about me going back to school.


Tears immediately began to well up in my eyes as I closed the card. I started to open the little box underneath of it and that's when I saw these perfect, darling earrings.



The Fleur-de-Lis is the flower of my sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma. It's also my favorite symbol/design/motif and I have them all over my house. Bethie was in a different sorority, but she still remembered that after all these years!




Aren't they so cute? When I saw that they were little Fleur-de-Lis earrings, the brimming tears in my eyes came spilling out and I felt so thankful, filled with gratitude. This whole week I'd been feeling unsure about going back to school, nervous that I wasn't as smart as I once was, and thinking that I might have made a mistake about everything. Then the mail came and I read Beth's thoughtful card, saw the sweetest earrings, and I instantly felt her support and encouragement. And did you notice the message on the card holding the earrings? It says:

HOPE_

LIVE IN POSSIBILITY

(How perfect)



I've always been one of those people who has many acquaintances, a lot of casual buddies, some good friends, and just a handful of Real Friends. But I have the BEST Real Friends. They've always been there for me, even when I was unfriendable. They were supportive and never gave up on our friendship. Beth's generous token reminded me of how grateful and lucky I am to have her in my life- how fortunate I am that she's my Real Friend.
Thank you so much Beth, I love, Love, LOVE the earrings, and as you can see, they're already in my ears :)

post signature

10 comments:

Mrs. Walk said...

And your sincere words of gratitude just made ME cry too! I'm so glad you like them. They were MADE for you--I had to get them!

Kari said...

Aren't those kinds of friends the best. Beautiful gift. They are so tiny and precious!

Our Little Family said...

How sweet!!! You deserve them, too.

I totally hear you on having a handful of REAL friends; in fact, I'm finally realizing that this is a GOOD thing for me. I don't know why but I always struggle with my notion of friends and what I have, or don't have. I'm rambling. Anyway, YOU must be a fabulous friend and those are beautiful earrings. I was a Delta Gamma and have a fondness for the anchor, personally. :)

I hope school is going well; you are one strong mama. I tutor in the afternoons, kids from kindergarten through sixth grade (6th is my limit; 7th grade math is a different animal! Lol). It allows me to not go back to the classroom and I love it. I mean, I whine constantly because I have to drive to my mom's everyday of the week (she watches Maddie and I tutor out of her house) but it's a blessing.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful friend you have and such beautiful words to show your appreciation!

Mademoiselle Deva said...

beautiful gift!

and your little girl is so cute! beautiful little girl!

Shoshanah said...

The earrings are so cute! I didn't realize how small they were until I saw them in your ears. And I love getting surprises in the mail too

Unknown said...

What a great friend to have!

Happy SITS Saturday Sharefest! Hope you'll stop by my blog, too.
Here's one of my favorite posts;

http://wrestlingretirement.blogspot.com/2009/08/welcome-to-torture-chamber.html

Kelly said...

I love the earrings! What a great friend to have.

Unknown said...

what a lovely surprise! The ear rings are beautiful...stopping by from SITS to say Hi

KK said...

Those are so cute. I love surprises!

Post a Comment