Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Bestie's Story

This weekend has just been crazy! Sara, the bestie, called me on Friday night and told me she was heading to the hospital- her contractions were 3 minutes apart and she was in agony. A little after midnight I got a text message that said after admitting her they were sending her home. Because she had to have an emergency C-Section for Lila, insurance mandated that she had to have other one this baby. When she got to the hospital her water had yet to break, and once again, insurance mandated she be sent home because they weren't go to pay for her go through early labor at the hospital. (Insurance also doesn't pay for C-Sections prior to 7 seven days before your due date, unless it's an emergent situation- it was 9 days before her due date.)


She was miserable and really suffering, unable to sleep and having contractions on top of contractions, with little break in between. On Saturday I had to go to my 8 and 1/2 hour anatomy and physiology class so I couldn't''t be with her. I stopped by after it was over and her face was white with pain, tears in her eyes. It was really hard for me to see her like that and knowing I could do nothing about it. Well, I did bring her a yummy slurpee and her favorite Halloween gum, but what I really wanted to do was go to that hospital, tell them who my dad was, and make them admit for real! But I didn't- sanity prevailed :)


Going to class for 8 hours really takes it out of you and I was exhausted. This morning (Sunday), in the early hours, I got a text message that baby had arrived and both he and Sara were doing great. At 3:30 am, with her water still not broken, she couldn't take the pain any longer and had her husband drive her to the hospital. When they checked her in, she was six (6) cm dilated! Six cm and no water breakage- can you imagine!? She'd been having contractions 1-2 minutes apart for almost two entire days. To me, she is rock star!


They doctors and nurses had to do some serious rushing to get her doctor there and her prepped and ready to the OR (her family didn't even have time to make it!) so that they could section the baby out. He was breech, so this added a little bit more drama to the situation. This morning at 5am their son was born, 7 lbs 5 oz!

And let me tell you, he is beautiful! Such a handsome little man. Spencer and I went up there after Sara had a chance to nap- which was much needed since she hadn't slept in 48 hours. I charged my camera battery and was ready to start taking pictures when I realized my memory card wasn't in there- ugh! I'm still so mad at myself! Her son (no name until I can make sure it's okay with her) is so much bigger than Lila, who was born at only 8 months (just like Spencer) and was a teeny tiny little preemie of a baby.



When I held him I had Sara's husband take Spencer and Lila to play to the little park at the hospital grounds, as she tends to get a little jealous when she sees me holding other babies! As he was snuggled in my arms I caught a whiff of that newborn baby smell and tears sprung to my eyes. It was a reminder of how fast Spencer is growing up and how she's never going to have "that smell" again. I wish someone could bottle up newborn baby smell- I mean every new baby smells just like it- surely they could make the scent a lotion, right? Anyway, I just felt so many different emotions holding the little man, much different than with Lila, since Spencer was still technically a baby when she was born. I didn't have this ache in my heart that my little baby wasn't a baby anymore.


After we left we had to go to their house and feed their dogs- they'd been "forgotten" in the haze of pain and labor. Tomorrow, before we head back, I need to go to the store and buy him a little hat. They only ones they had left at the hospital were pink and Sara wasn't too thrilled with that. Any recommendations on where to find one? Hopefully I will be able to get some really good pictures to post for ya'll tomorrow! But for tonight, I'm just completely zonked out. Two "family" babies born in one weekend and one marathon class have completely rendered me exhausted!

** Addie Update
- She is off the ventilator! This is just amazing for such a tiny little baby. She'll have to be in the hospital for at least, the very least, 2-3 months, but every tiny step forward helps. The local Quantum House (like the RMDH) is full, but they've been added to the waiting list. The hospital where they're at (the one that has the NICU best able to treat Addie) is quite a long ways from their home, so they were really hopeful that something would become available to them before Katie is discharged tomorrow. Since it looks like that might not happen, please pray that a spot will open up for them very soon! And for Katie who is recovering from her weeks stay in the hospital plus the c-section surgery. Thank you and please keep the prayers coming! **

post signaturebv

4 comments:

Hayley said...

Wee! First! LOL I'm so immature. I'm tired.

That is quite the dramatic birth story! Glad everyone is happy and healthy and that the teeny one is a fighter.

Melissa's Thoughts said...

I love that baby smell too. I was at a wedding this weekend and saw a little baby that reminded me so much of my son when he was born. I just couldn't hold him. It made my heart yern for one so badly.

ItsKelly said...

What a story! I'm glad to hear mom and baby are doing well. I would have been so frustrated with insurance. I hate feeling like my insurance company is making my health care decisions, rather than my doctor. But it happens all the time.

KK said...

She is a rock star!!! Stupid insurance companies!

Post a Comment