Friday, September 11, 2009

It Started Off Like Any Other Day

I was walking to an early morning class and I was a jumble of nerves. The night before had been my boyfriend's 21st birthday. I was only 19 so I didn't want to be a drag on the festivities of the evening, since I knew the plan was a crawl through town. In my mind this was a huge sacrifice on my part, but in reality I had an early class the next day, had celebrated with him over the weekend, and was in the middle of sorority rush (before I was a Kappa). But I had this sick feeling in my stomach that bad was going to happen and I was so worried. He hadn't called me, like he promised he would, when he was safely home and I just knew this meant that he was either in bed with someone else or in the hospital.
 (What can say, I was a drama queen).

All these thoughts are racing through my mind and spilling out of my mouth, as I told my best male friend as we walked together. He said all the right things, but I could tell he was thinking I was acting nutsy. We walked into Morton and it was eerily quiet, we looked at the clock and it was a few minutes before 9am. As we got to our classroom I saw the tv turned on, there were students gathered around it. No one said anything, tears glistening in their eyes. Neither of us still had any idea what was going on, we saw the first tower on fire with a hole in the side, but the reality had yet to sink in.
And then we saw something else, it was like a horror movie where you're helpless to do anything but watch. The second plane zoomed into sight, obviously headed in the direction of the World Trade Center, and then it disappeared into the other tower, as though it had been swallowed whole. A ripple of cries, screams, and gasps went through the room and then the building.

Everything I had been worried about before left my mind, I was now convinced that this was the End of Days and the end of the world. No one on the news was able to give an explanation other then America was under attack. A few minutes later we learned that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon, which was only 90 minutes from Richmond. The next speculation we heard was that "they" were moving down the East Coast, and that the FED in Richmond was being evacuated, as the possible next target. Our cell phones wouldn't work and the Internet had crashed. I felt so helpless. But it got worse when they speculated that the next hit might be the nuclear power plant, which is in the Williamsburg zone or Camp Peary, in Williamsburg, which is a CIA training ground.
I felt trapped. Against the advice of my friends, I hopped into my car and drove home. No matter what happened, I wanted to be with my family. I was only a sophomore and we weren't allowed to have cars yet, I just happened to have mine because of rush. The roads were empty. I saw only a handful of cars on the hour drive to my house.

And we watched the news, listened to the stories, and then came the realization-the feeling that nothing would ever be the same again. It's easier to forget that day, to pretend that it didn't change the course of American history forever. It's not a day I like to think about, but I feel a responsibility to remind myself of it every September 11th. For those of us who were lucky enough to not loose anyone we love, I think the anniversary can become an abstract day of remembrance and ultimately "just another day." But for so many, it's when lost their life as they knew it- something impossible to forget because it's defined their every day since then. And it's for them that I choose to remember.

post signature

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Reading this gave me chills. I remember every single thing about that day. Waking up, seeing the news, having no idea what was going on... or the ability to comprehend it. It's so hard to think about, but I choose to remember too.

Theta Mom said...

Thank you for this post. We can never forget that day and all of the lives lost. Never.

BTW, thank you so much for the follow on twitter. I'm following you back. I love meeting new mommy bloggers and your blog is so adorable!

Micha said...

This morning we had a special flag ceremony at the school that the kids were all to attend. It was really nice and emotional for those of us who clearly recall like you do, but the reaction from the kids was a little sad. I heard some talking about "like it even really happened" and I just thought "WOW! So that is how history gets forgotten..."

You wrote about it so beautifully. I too ache for the lives of those who have been so altered by this event and praise the bravery of the men and women caught in the midst of it.

Eileen Astels Watson said...

It's painful to remember. I lift prayers for all who suffered and continue to suffer from 9/11.

KK said...

I'll never forget that day, just like the day of the OKC bombing, the day each of the shuttles blew up, hurricane Katrina...things kids will have to memorize in history books years from now...we will never forget.

Mommyto3andahusky said...

glad you are safe. Isn't it crazy how we can remember every single minute of that day?

Flory said...

I remember that day like it was yesterday. I didn't lose a loved one, but the severity of the tragedy impacted all of as a country.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

You know? It is so strange, that day splipped by without me realizing what day it was! Until that eveninng when Dan got home and he brought it up-- we swapped stories and then I sighed... my boys will never know what the world was like before 9/11.

Post a Comment