Monday, September 28, 2009

Three Things Every Parent Should Teach Their Kids

  1. That the punishment for telling the truth will always be better than the punishment for lying. The reason kids lie is because they're afraid of getting in trouble- trust me, I know! In the beginning I used to always tell the truth and I quickly realized that I was in DEEP trouble. I decided early on that the punishment for lying could be no worse than the ones I received for telling the truth, plus I got the added bonus of doing what I wanted to do in the first place. If kids know that they can tell you the truth without being grounded for life, I think there's a much greater likelihood for an open dialogue and that your children will believe they can really come to you to talk instead of to someone else who might be giving them very bad advice.
  2. Always stick up for the underdog. If someone is being bullied then you come to the other person's defense. There is no excuse or justification for cruel behavior and it's so easy to jump on the bandwagon of picking on someone who is too shy or too afraid to stick up for themselves. By coming to that person's defense you will show others your true character while highlighting that bully's lack of it. And while sometimes it may be hard to be that person who openly goes against and defends the person it's popular to pick on, ultimately, they'll feel better about themselves and others will soon recognize their true worth in spades!
  3. No matter what they do, you will ALWAYS love and support them. A child or teenager should never be afraid to come to their parent because they fear their parent will stop loving them. They should know their parents will be their advocate throughout life, their biggest fan, and a constant source of love. Of course that doesn't mean a parent should just say "do what you want, it's your life," they should be a guide, pointing out when their child is in the wrong and what they should do to fix it. And sometimes, if their kid has wronged someone else, or hasn't followed through with something they should have, a parent should be there to right that wrong- not just for their child, but for the other person, and to be an example of magnanimous love. As parents, I believe it's our job to right our childrens wrongs until they do so, or else it's just a poor reflection on us as parents. But ultimately, every kid should know that beyond a shadow of a doubt, no matter how badly they screw up,- their parent(s) will always be there for them, with open arms full of love. Think of the prodigal son!
So that's my list, not surprisingly, it comes mostly from experience. Like yesterday when Spencer knocked down a huge display of cards at the hospital and refused to pick them up. I didn't leave them there for someone else to pick up my slack, I did it myself. Or how I didn't tell my parents I was pregnant for almost a month after I found out because I believed my mom would disown me. What do you think are the three most important things to teach a child?
post signature

11 comments:

whenpigsfly said...

Good post!
Linda blog hopping from
www.smithsoup.blogspot.com

Melissa's Thoughts said...

Exactly!! Well said.

TheAtticGirl said...

#1 is very true! I try to tell my son that. If he lies, the punishment is far worse because he didn't fess up the first time!

http://atticgirl.blogspot.com/2009/09/mcklinky-blog-hop-3-things-you-should.html

Laura said...

Sticking up for someone is soo so important! I remember a time when I was being picked on and someone stuck up for me... will never forget it. Never.

Josie said...

That was great! Come over and see mine! http://raisingbabycheap.blogspot.com

Theta Mom said...

You're right, the bottom line is that we will love them unconditionally.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Those are all very very true!

I love your desitin story... though I am sure that it is not as funny while you are trying to clean it up!

Already Happy said...

I really agree with all of these Katie!

As far as #1, my dad was always REALLY big on emphasizing this. It stuck with me and I am a really honest person today, partially because of that.

#2-I think the whole sticking up for the underdog thing is inherently part of who I am. I always would befriend the kid who got picked or route for the team that always lost. Sometimes, in debate kind of discussions, I see myself arguing the least popular point of view because I feel it should be heard...regardless of whether or not I agree.

#3-This couldn't be more important. As overly dramatic as it sounds there are kids who commit suicide because they are too afraid to talk to their parents about something. I can't even begin to imagine how the parent or the child feel in those situations!

MostlyFlumxdArt said...

Love this. Thanks for sharing. Following :)

My Heart Blogged said...

I love your number 3. I wish my parents would have had that mind set. It's so important to let your kids know that you will always love them, and be there. I'd love for you to check out my blog, it's on the blog hop too!

ItsKelly said...

I 100% agree with your list. I want my children to know that it's not okay to lie and that they can always tell me anything.

I also want to teach my children how to form their own *informed* opinions. My parents never told me their political views growing up, because they wanted me to think for myself, not just believe something because they did. I wonder if that was hard for them??

Post a Comment