Monday, November 9, 2009

Katie/Mommy

When Spencer gets mad at me or wants my attention, she calls me Katie.


Katie

And every single time she says it I crack up and try to not let her see how she's charmed me. You see, I've called my mom by her first name ever since college. I still call her mom, but I use her first name frequently- which she hates. I don't do it out of disrespect, just habit. My freshman year of college, as everyone was getting to know each other, many of us started using our parents' first names when talking about them with each other. It was just easier and less confusing. And then somehow I began calling my mom her first name in front of her.

Each time I said it aloud, she would look at me and say something to the effect of one day my (then future) daughter would call me Katie and then I'd understand why she was mad at me. So of course the second Spencer called me Katie, I immediately called my mom at work to tell her all about it. I don't think she was as amused about it as I was- but did give me the obligatory chuckle, before telling me I was going to be that weird mom who let her daughter call her by her first name.

And no, I'm not going to "let" Spence call me Katie. I didn't call my mom "insert her name here" until I was 19 and I didn't do it in front of her until I was 21 or 22 and I definitely don't do it in front of my dad, because he gets VERY mad. But I can't help it, Spencer makes me laugh when she does things my mom warned me would one day happen. And of course I don't respond to her when she calls me Katie and I bury my head in the closest thing I can find, lest she see me trying to hide the upturning of my mouth and think it's a smile!

Has anyone else experienced this kind of thing at such a young age and what did you do about it?


post signature

5 comments:

Hayley said...

Haven't experienced that one yet. Oh, but Cade learned "shut up" from his cousin. YEAH. We're still battling that one. And the other day I pulled a Mommy of the Year moment and called John a dick within earshot of Cade (we were kidding around). Of course, Cade heard and yelled, "Yeah John, you're a dick!" Not a proud moment for me- but I had to laugh anyway before explaining to him how naughty it was and that Mommy needs to go sit in timeout.

Mrs. Walk said...

Even funnier, my friend's 2-and-a-half-year-old sometimes calls her "honey"! Apparently after hearing her call him that, or his parents calling each other that, he somehow decided that must be her name! And then he sometimes calls his dad by his first name. So it's either Mommy and Daddy or Mike and Honey!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh yeah-- but differently. Henry thought for a long time that Dan's name was hunny. We would educate him on his name, address, phone number and parents names... and I would ask what is my name... and he would say Katie... and then what is Daddy's name... nad he would say Hunny! ;)

Annie said...

uh oh, that's not good!! silly little spencer!

KK said...

How cute! My niece and nephew know they aren't allowed to call their parents by their first names, but they try to get away with it. They call me KK, but they think they are being sneaky if they try to call me just "kim". Its so funny! I don't care, but since they are supposed to be learning respect I have to give them that look....and laugh when they leave!

Post a Comment