Thursday, November 12, 2009

A Southern Nor'Easter

We're in the middle of a huge, non-moving, perfect-esque storm. The remnants of Hurricane Ida have converged with a New England Nor'easter and are currently sitting on top of Virginia. Something about a pressure system to the north that's preventing it from moving anywhere. And let me tell you, it's pretty gross over here.

We're in the second day of heavy rain and huge gusts of wind. My front yard is flooded and I'm just waiting for the power to go out. The weatherman said that if it were a little bit colder, we'd be digging ourselves out of snow for the rest of the month! Everything is closed, the price gouging laws have gone into effect, and the Governor has declared us in a State of Emergency.

So we're basically just hunkering down here. Spencer is a wild woman, this being her second day of complete indoor isolation. It's hard to wear out a two year old when you're cooped up inside all day long. And it's not supposed to let up until Saturday, so I'm sure tomorrow is going to be really, um... special. I did make sure to get out all my candles, the big flashlight, some batteries, and I charged the battery run generator- just in case the power does out. I'm assuming it will, because the wind is howling and there are already 30,000 Richmonders without power.
To be honest, I didn't even know it was possible for a nor'easter to occur in the south- you learn something every day!

8 comments:

Annie said...

praying your power doesn't go out hun!! hopefully you can keep spencer entertained! i can't imagine that being easy. maybe make some christmas crafts/cards ;)

Hayley said...

Um, that sucks. It's got to be hard keeping her busy! I suggest something messy... HA.

Hoping it doesn't get any worse, because that will suck! Good luck...

John & Michelle said...

Hopeing you both survive without pulling any hair out! On a positive note...you should have a great Sunday!

Melissa's Thoughts said...

My mom flew out of Baltimore this evening in the middle of it and made it here on time. WOW! Praying you guys are safe. My sister lives in Alexandria and says it's so windy there. Daddy says it's windy in So. MD and the tide is up. Again, praying for you guys. Be safe.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

uck! Sorry about that... I hope that it moves on quick-er and you two can get out and release all of that enrgy!!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

We had it in Atlanta Tuesday/Wednesday ... When the sun came out Wednesday it was blinding!! Hope you guys managed to keep your power ...

Sarah

Unknown said...

and we had great surf from Ida! sorry you are stuck inside, though...

i got some great pics on the beach from Ida's surf on Wednesday. one of them - the group of boys walking w/ surfboards - made the front page of our local paper! (so proud)

your daughter is so cute and I love the darker toned Christmas dress :-)

KK said...

Yuck, I hope it moves on out soon!

Post a Comment