Monday, November 16, 2009

My Favorite Books

This week's theme on the Mcklinky Blog Hop is our favorite book. I have a few favoritess- there's the intellectual snooty one, the predictable one, the classic one, the fun one, the motivational one, and the mysterious one. I've read them many times over and have multiple copies of each- in my opinion, a book can't really be your favorite unless it never goes out of style with you.

My Favorite Book


To Kill a Mockingbird

It's my all time favorite book and I can read it over and over again. I've also never seen the movie because, to me, the book is perfect just as it is. My dad gave me his first edition copy when I was in the 6th grade. I started reading it that night and every spare minute I had went to finishing it. This was the book that first made me want to be a lawyer, specifically a pro bono civil rights lawyer; before that I was going to be a doctor just like my father. I know it's technically a book for younger students, but I don't care- I love it, and it really changed the direction of my life.

And the Rest of My Favorites

The rest of these are in no particular order, but see if you can match them to the above descriptors!



Pride and Prejudice

Some of my favorite quotes are from this book.


"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."

"Stupid men are the only ones worth knowing after all."

"I cannot fix on the hour, or the look, or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun."


Savannah Blues

It was the book that made me fall in love with all things old that have a story behind them. It also has the most wonderful take on Southern women and the rules we're supposed to follow.



Gone With the Wind

I first saw the movie when I was in the fourth grade and I made my mom take me to the book store that night so I (she) could but it for me. It took me six months to finish it- not because it was a slow read or anything, it's just that Gone With the Wind has 1037 pages and I was only 10 years old. I've read it many times since then and I still keep hoping that when I get the last pages that the ending will be different...



The Red Tent

I thought I was going to hate The Red Tent when it was assigned to me in my Discovering the Goddess class during my Senior year at WM, but I was so wrong! I couldn't put the book down and I was profoundly sad when I finished reading it, because it was over, and I just didn't want the book to ever end. I've also listened to it a few times on CD and the lady reading the story has the most wonderful, soothing voice.


The Know-It-All

This book will make you smarter while also forcing you to realize that you really don't know anything at all when compared to the amount of information that's out there. The guy that wrote this, also wrote the book The Year of Living Biblically, where he spent an entire year following every single rule in the Bible, including the arcane ones like stoning adulterers, not wearing mixed fiber clothing, and not shaving his facial hair!


And that's a wrap on my favorite books, but I'd love to hear which books are ya'll's favorites. I', always looking for new books to read and finding new things to learn.
post signature

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I have read most of your books. They each were great! I haven't read the last one. It looks like fun and could be a "high fiber" book.

Krafty Max Originals said...

So, here is mine. When I was a little girl my father would sit on the couch with me in his lap and read two books to me, one was Where the Wild Things Are. Between these two books I learned how to read and how to face life. Between these pages and my dad's voice is my childhood.


The other book that was read to me and brings back memories is The Frog and the Toad. This book also keeps my mind and memories alive.

Paige said...

I have read your books listed but not in a long while! You went big and deep and I so did not! :)

Great choices though!

Have a super day!

Ruthie Denise said...

Love your site.

Hayley said...

Oh, I LOVE books! The Lovely Bones, Sense and Sensibility, The Other Boleyn Girl, A Time to Kill, and I could go on and on and on...

If you like those random info books, you should try to find The Superior Person's Book of Words. My mom bought it for me when I was 12 at Restoration Hardware and holy crap, it's funny! And fun to find random relatively-unknown insults in.

Shoshanah said...

I actually read Gone with the Wind before I saw the movie. I was at my grandparents' house bored one weekend in middle school and my grandmother lent me the book to entertain me. I've read the book countless times, and do think I love the book more than the movie.

On the other hand, I absolutely LOVE the movie of To Kill a Mockingbird. I read the book after I saw the movie, and while I enjoy the book, I like the movie a lot more.

lv2scpbk said...

You have some classics listed. Someone in my book group read The Red Tent and said it was really good. I need to add it to my list of books to read.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

You and I have teh same taste... love the books you chose too, ans the ones that I don't know I will HAVE to check out!

KK said...

I'll have to look for that Savannah one! I loved the Red Tent too...and of course Gone with the Wind.

Post a Comment