Thursday, November 19, 2009

Show Us Your Life - The Pets


This week's Show Us How You Live blog hop is about our pets. Technically, I'm the current owner of two dogs, but in reality, it's just one. But I consider all of my parents pets as mine too, because they were all there when I was growing up and were our family dogs. (I think leaving them was the one of the hardest parts about leaving home, ha!) But I am the owner of my old gal Josie, I rescued her when I was 16.




It's still a bone of contention with everyone in my family, because they don't believe my story of how I found Josie, but it's the truth! I was driving my friend home from cheerleading practice, I pulled into her driveway and she got out. She stood there for a moment with car door open, and all of a sudden this little bundle of fur jumped in and started licking my face. She had no collar and was so sweet, so sweet.

I took her home and my parents were like, Nope, No WAY, NOT Going To Happen! You see, just a few months before I found a crate of puppies someone dropped off on the side of the ride and I brought all them, too. And it took a few weeks to find homes for all eight of them. So they were not looking to take in another stray dog. We hung up signs all around the neighborhood and posted an ad on the public access channel, but no one knew anything about her. Which turns out to be a good thing, since after we took her to the vet a week later, he told us that she's been abused. Two of her ribs were broken by someone kicking her and she'd pee on the floor whenever a man would walk by her. My parents felt so bad after hearing that, and they we'd could keep her.

I love my Josie, but she has some quirks to her! She can't stand feet, probably because of being kicked, and if you put your feet near her she runs away. Josie also doesn't know how to play. The vet said if a dog isn't exposed to playing activity when they are young, they often don't understand it when they're older. Every time we'd try and play with Josie, she'd look at as like we were torturing her. Later, when more dogs came along, she'd watch them play and try to mimic them, but we could tell she had no clue why she was shaking a stuffed animal or bringing us back a ball.



Josie is now about 13 years old and very set in her ways. I would have loved to bring her with me, but my dad grew especially attached to her when I was in college and Josie got very used to the other dogs. Whenever one of them as to leave the house for grooming or a vet appointment, they sit at the door and cry for them until they come home. So I knew I couldn't take Josie with me, it just wouldn't have been fair to her. Thankfully, we only live about about three miles away, so I get to see her all time. But it's not the same, and I miss her.
The other members of Josie's dog pack of which she is the Queen Bee:




Shadow the Scottie, and

Gus, the dog we inherited when my Mema died. Gus is six and Shadow is eight.

Spencer and I now have a Great Dane named Vivian Leigh. I've been delinquent in taking her photo recently, so I only have pictures of her from when she was smaller.


She's now 9 months old and 120 llbs, she's a very big, very sweet girl!






And those are "my" pets!



**More Show You How I Live Posts**


post signature

6 comments:

Hayley said...

I miss my dogs.

So I hang out on the Multiples n' More blog, and they were having a Halloween costume contest. I go to check out the winners, and the second place winners were triplet girls... wearing the piggy costume that Spencer wore! You won! (albeit in a roundabout way.) I got all excited.

Also, the boy/girl twins I voted for won first place. They were a nun and a priest. Complete with the cross around the waist. It was awesome. Next year I'ma totally do that. That's right. I'ma rip off someone else's idea.

Summer said...

I love the last pic of the Great Dane and your little cutie! How stinkin cute is that!!
Summer :0)

The Undomestic Mom said...

Your daughter is precious!! Cute blog...I love the picture of her and the Great Dane!

Anonymous said...

awww these are all adorable! i love them! the one of your daughter is precious! and that was so great of you to rescue that dog

Jenn said...

Josie is sweet!
Your Great Dane has a precious face! 120 lbs wow!!!

KK said...

I love your dogs, they are all so cute. Great Danes are sweet sweet dogs.

Post a Comment