Thursday, August 20, 2009

Children of the Corn



Today, I picked corn off the stalk and then I husked it! I must have done about 40, I would have done more, but two huge worms fell on me, which rendered me unproductive. I screamed VERY loudly, which scared Spencer and she ran over to give me "love" and make sure everything was okay. Once she realized I was fine, she went about trying to mimic my shrieking cry of terror, which was only funny the first couple of times she did it, ha!
When I was taking the corn off the stalk, I made some errors, yep, definitely errors! I accidentally broke the stalk in half when I was trying to yank off an ear of corn. I got so flustered with this huge stalk falling on top of me (since it could no longer stand up) while I was still trying to free my piece of corn, that I pulled really hard and out came the entire stalk! Like out from the ground, roots exposed. It was not a good moment.


Spencer is taking her nap right now, well she's about to to, and then I'm going to pick some peaches and raspberries for the crisp I'm making for dessert tonight. When I say pick, I literally mean pick! I get the raspberries off the vine and shake the peach tree so the ripe ones fall to the ground. (It's best to cover your head when doing this!) I made it last night and it came out pretty good, but I was missing a few ingredients so I had to improvise a little. We're having "company" tonight, so the grown ups are going to the store to get what I need, haha! Did you know that if you don't have brown sugar all you have to do is mix 2 tablespoons of molasses with one cup of regular sugar and you get brown sugar? Well, you can!


Peaches from the peach tree. Whenever I'm down there trying to find the ripest ones, I always sing to myself "millions of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free."

I totally feel like a fish out of water here, but we're having a great time. It's fun to do these things that I would never ordinarily do- but being Katie-Homemaker is much more enjoyable when you know that it's only temporary! Although I do think it's good practice for the day when I actually have to prepare real meals. (Oh Scary Day!) Tomorrow I'll post the corn husking (shucking?) pictures, these are from yesterday.




She loves to swing, everyday I hear "Fwing!"







The best fried chicken EVER! KFC is nothing compared to this.





It's so delicious and a perfect shade of golden brown.



It's also a heart attack on a stick! Quickly followed by quadruple bypass and lifetime low sodium diet, haha!


P.S. You have listen to the Peaches song, or least read the lyrics! It will make you laugh when you think of me (or when I'm remembering this experience) shaking a peach tree and gathering the bounty in my basket.

post signature

2 comments:

Annie said...

i love pictures of spencer! she is just too cute for words!

Kelly said...

Reading your posts, it seems like you are in a dream land this week! Sounds/looks so wonderful. And thanks for the tip on brown sugar. I had no idea.

Post a Comment