Monday, August 31, 2009

I-T-C-H-Y Rhymes With

The way I'm feeling right now. Yesterday afternoon Spencer and I went to a birthday barbecue for some friends of her PGPs. We had a very nice time celebrating being 85 years young and there was some delicious homemade mac-n-cheese! Unfortunately, there were mosquitoes. A lot of them.

Mosquitoes love me. LOVE me. When we lived in Minnesota, where the mosquito is jokingly referred to as the state bird, I got over 100 mosquito bites on one knee (plus countless more elsewhere) when I was at Girl Scout Camp. A girl had gotten hot during the night and opened our tent, accidentally opening the protective netting as well. It was not a pretty picture. I had to go the infirmary doctor who quickly called my mom and took me to the real doctor. I can't describe the itching, it was the worst, most unquenchable itch that I've ever experienced. I was swollen and red all over, even thinking about it makes me itch.

This isn't quite as bad, but I currently have about 30 bites on my arms and legs. AND I sprayed with bug spray twice! I am SO itchy and witchy right now. The only good thing is that mosquitoes don't seem to like Spencer, she didn't get one bite. Which is great, because I would much rather be the itchy one. It's taking all of my self control to stop myself from clawing off my skin. I'm going to have to sleep in long sleeves and pants tonight- who knows what I'm capable of during my sleep!

I just took a healthy dose of benadryl, so hopefully that will render me comatose pretty soon. Does anyone have any good remedies for mosquito bites? I'm willing to try anything. Anything, seriously!

post signature

6 comments:

Our Little Family said...

Oh girl, I'm SO sorry!! :( Unfortunately, Maddie is super susceptible to bug bites and then gets crazy, awful reactions (the doctor {un}helpfully told us that she just must have sweet blood; Ugh).

Let's see... What helps Maddie? Benadryl, both the liquid and the spray. Aveeno baths seems to calm the itch, at least for the time you're soaking. Neosporin with pain relief helps the most inflamed ones.

Sorry, none of these are original, old wives tale kind of help. I'll be thinking about you! :-/

Annie said...

did i know you used to live in MN?! if so, i'm forgetful...it's where i live in case you didn't know ;)
i hate mosquitos though! i think i only got one bite this year though! it hasn't been warm so the bugs don't seem bad at all this year.
sorry to hear about all your bites, i feel your pain. i hope they go away ASAP!
no itching! ;)

confused homemaker said...

I HATE those bites, those bugs are b*tches. And I always seem to get eaten alive. I don't have good advice for dealing with other than what Our Little Family mentioned.

Kylee said...

Ugh! I hate mosquitoes! I am so sorry to hear that they like you so much. :( I second the Aveeno bath idea. That helps with me, as well as some sort of anti-itch cream. Oh, and maybe try some Aloe. That could work. Praying for ya!

KK said...

I feel your pain-sort of! I have had a rash for 8 days from a band-aid! I'm living on benadryl too! Hope you are feeling better soon.

mel @ the larson lingo said...

oh no! mosqitoe bites are the worst. I always load up on benadryl & I don't even start itching them...once you start itching it just gets itchier & itchier! hope you get some relief soon!

Post a Comment