Friday, February 20, 2009

The Best Chocolate Cake/Brownies, EVER

I got this recipe from Pioneer Woman, but made a few changes. I didn't put nuts in the icing, but if you want, the real recipe calls for pecans. I also used unsweetened cocoa powder instead of sweetened, and trust me- it was plenty sweet!



I also didn't have buttermilk on hand, so I made my own buttermilk- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and then add enough regular milk so that it equals 1 cup. Let it sit for 5 minutes and Voila, buttermilk. Then just add how much the recipe calls for.



This was seriously the best chocolate cake/brownies that I have ever tasted. I hope you enjoy!



Combine in a mixing bowl:

  • 2 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

In a saucepan, melt:

  • 2 sticks butter
  • Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa.

Stir together


  • Add 1 cup boiling water, allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds, then turn off heat.


  • Pour over flour mixture


  • Stir lightly to cool

In measuring cup, pour 1/2 cup buttermilk.


Add:

  • 2 beaten eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda

Pour buttermilk mixture into butter/chocolate mixture.



Stir together with a wooden spoon




Pour into sheet cake pan

Bake at 350-degrees for 20 minutes

While cake is baking, make icing:


  • Melt 1 3/4 sticks butter in a saucepan.
  • Add 4 heaping tablespoons cocoa, stir to combine, then turn off heat.


Add:


  • 6 tablespoons milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 lb minus 1/2 cup powdered sugar

Stir together

Pour over warm cake


Spencer LOVED It!

2 comments:

Lilly said...

Looks deliciuos and clearly it is.

Maisy said...

yummmmmm......all my blogging friends are doing some amazing baking. i need to get busy!!!
don't forget i'm doing a giveaway. get your but over to my blog and get yourself in the $100 giveaway!!!
happy weekend!

Post a Comment