Thursday, February 5, 2009

Flair

I don't consider myself to be a trendy person- I like to think that I'm classic with flair! I hate to be boring or not unique.

I dated this boy in high school who's voice was like a seducing siren calling out to me. He was in a band and was unlike anybody I had ever dated, he was what I might call "underground," finding trends instead of following them. I don't think we ever listened to the radio once because he always wanted me to hear something by an up and coming band, or his band. I would never call myself a music snob, I mean really, I went to the Spice Girls reunion concert, I've seen DMB 4 times, and I know almost all the words to the Mamma Mia soundtrack. But yeah, I'm a bit of a music snob.

Not in the way you're probably thinking, so here's what I mean. Due to my dalliance with Band Boy, I was suddenly aware of an entire world of music I didn't really know existed. (remember, religiously sheltered) I started listening to Jimmy Eat World, The Dandy Warhols, the original version of Dashboard Confessional, and Rilo Kiley in high school! No one had ever heard of them, and I loved that.

Jimmy Eat World was one of my favorite bands (the old stuff), but part of what I liked about liking them was it made me a little different than everyone else. I'm sure there were a lot of other people listening and liking that band, but I didn't know any of them. Then one day I heard Jimmy Eat World on the radio and suddenly everyone loved them. If I told someone they were one of my favortie bands, they'd get that look in their eye like I was a mainstream follower. Not that there's anything wrong with being a mainstream follower, because that was me in almost every other area.

I know it sounds weird that a band becoming popular could somehow be bad, but a lot times popularity and record deals, etc., force the group to put out different, more radio-friendly type music. If you listen to early Jimmy Eat World, it is very, very different than what you've probably heard on the radio.
So it took me writing all that to get to why I'm writing this. I was watching Without a Trace the other night and the last song was by Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley! I know that RK has been getting more popular, but I've never heard them on the regular radio. Immediately I was excited for her, but then came the old familiar feeling.
Here comes the exciting part!
I DON'T CARE!

So what if I look trendy for liking a band everyone else likes? I know that I've liked them for years, why should I care that other people are now finding out about them? Funny side note, Jenny Lewis played Shelley Long's daughter in Troop Beverly Hills, one of my favorite movies from back in the day!

Oddly enough, when I fall in love with something, it becomes popular, especially baby names. I wanted to name my daughter Madison for years before it became the trendy name du jour. I was going to have two daughters, Madison and Reagan, after my two favorite presidents! What was I thinking?? Before I settled on the name Spencer, my favorite names were Harper, Harlowe, and Finley. And wouldn't you know, 6 Hollywood babies have been given those names since Spencer was born!

I like to blend in, but stand out. I don't see that changing about myself, but that doesn't mean I'm giving up on my music.  So I'm not going to abandon Jenny Lewis or Rilo Kiley, I'm going to promote them instead! Here's the song Jenny Lewis sang on Without a Trace.

Jenny Lewis - Acid Tongue
Found at bee mp3 search engine

And here is my favorite Rilo Kiley song, Science vs. Romance.

Rilo Kiley - Science vs. Romance
Found at bee mp3 search engine
Besides music and baby names, I also have a large collection of crazy coats! My coat addiction is for another post, but here's me in my all time favorite!

2 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Good for you! I sometimes wish I had the peronality to support "Flair" but I don't -- I find myself saying... "I love your purse...I wish I could pull that off!"

Maisy said...

Katie~
I have to tell you...you are just darling!!!
I love the way your mind thinks.
AWESOME coat!

Post a Comment