Friday, February 20, 2009

A Week Late, But Love is Never Out of Style

I'd seen this craft done on a few other blogs in different ways, so I thought I'd give it a whirl! I bought a silicone mini heart tray and some crayons- tray $8 and 64 Crayola Crayons for $1.75. (I had a coupon at Target)

I broke up the crayons and put them in the mold. I had never done this before, so I wasn't sure how many crayons to put in each one or which colors would go well together, so this was a good experiment for future endeavors. I've done it twice since then, and I think it's best to put the equivilent of 1 broken crayon into each mold- maybe a tad less than one, like 7/8ths, haha.

I put them in the oven on 350 degrees and sat there and watched them melt. I wasn't sure how long it would take, so I wanted to be careful and make sure I didn't end up with a boiling waxy mess. I didn't stir them or anything, I just let the heat do it's job, and it took about 5-7 minutes for them to turn into liquid.

I took them out to let them set- about 15-20 minutes- and then popped them out! They came out really easily and hardly left any residue in the tray.


I think they turned out really well for my first batch! I discovered that it's best not to mix dark colors together, like blue and green- unless one of them is very light. Spencer really likes them and they are a lot easier for her to hold than regular crayons.






Up close and personal with the heart crayons! All in all, this was probably the easiest craft I have ever done and it's also the one that turned out the best- at least in my opinion. And you could do it with any mold, for any holiday or birthday- I can't wait to make four leaf clovers for St. Patrick's Day!

1 comments:

Maisy said...

great idea katie. i have never seen this before. not only is it the easiest.. it has to be one of the cheapest too. how is spencer feeling these days??

stop over at my blog. i'm doing a giveaway. put yourself in for the $100 giveaway. again...really easy!
happy weekend :)

Post a Comment