Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Worst Dressed of the Academy Awards

This is the end of my Academy Awards review, the worst dresses. I always feel badly when I don't like how someone dresses, because I know they probably tried to pick out something that was fashionable, but also true to their own preferences and personality. But sometimes the execution of an outfit just doesn't work out the way it was supposed to and sometimes the outfits are just plain ugly. We are all guilty of wearing "questionable" at some point or another in our lives, at least I know I've worn some terrible outfits! But, you have to make a few mistakes a long the way- trial and error is what helps us grow and learn. Keeping that in mind, here is my worst dressed offenders list,






I don't think I have the proper vocabulary to adequately explain how much I hate Beyonce's dress. My very first thought when I saw it was "Scarlett O'Hara's made-from-curtains-dress puts this to shame!" In my opinion, it looks exactly like they used a pair of curtains/draperies, and made that frock. She is so pretty, and only 27, why does she like to wear dresses that make her look so old?




I was also not a huge fan of Melissa George's dress. She looks very pretty, but to me, it's very "wedding dress gone wrong."








I thought this dress was all wrong, all the way around- although the color does look nice on her. But I think it looks like they took some satin sheets and draped, folded, tied, and tucked into a dress. And what exactly is that thing in the front supposed to be?







I know Heidi Klum likes to be "fashion forward" and a lot of times she takes some good risks and succeeds, but not this time. It's not that it's even a particularly ugly dress, it's just not pretty- although it is a very nice color on her.



I'm not sure why Bridget Fonda's stylist would ever choose this dress for anyone because it's just not pretty. The cut of the dress isn't flattering and the print isn't either. It's not even interestingly ugly, it's just wrong all the way around. Sorry Bridget, I wish your return to the red carpet had been a bit more successful.



Tilda's Swenson usually wears the worst outfits, but I actually think this is one of her better ones - it's feminine and flattering. So I feel badly that she is going into the worst category, but her hair and makeup were not good. It makes her look very severe, which is a shame, because I thought this was such a good look for her.



Men are boring at all these funtions, so even their worst outfits are usually not so bad. But that beanie Phillip Seymour Hoffman is wearing completely killed his outfit. His tux is very nice, and besides the beanie, I think he looks very dapper. I realize he was just trying to put some of his own personality into his ensemble, but the hat was the wrong way to go.



Do you all agree with my choices? Was I too harsh? Who did you think should be on the list?


2 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Yeeeeahhhhh, I would have to agree with you choices.... thoguh I cannot add to them cause I did not actaully see them in action!

Hayley said...

I agree with it all! And I have to add... what was it about Reese Witherspoon's dress?? It wasn't exactly UGLY but... something about it. Like it was too angular or something. Just didn't look good on her cute lil bod at all.

Thanks for the baby names!! A few of them are actually on my list (not John's), so now maybe I can convince him that they're not "weird."

Post a Comment