Friday, January 9, 2009

Cups of History

For as long as I can remember there has been this green coffee cup in my parent's kitchen cabinet. Once, it was part of an entire set belonging to my Papa's sister, who gave them to him before she died. Somehow my mom wound up with two of them when she got married, but by the time I came around there was only one left.

My mom rarely uses it anymore, I think she's afraid she might break it, but it's the cup I remember her drinking of when I was a kid. For Christmas this year, I looked everywhere for one of these cups, but it was difficult because the markings on the bottom were virtually gone.





I finally found one that matched, on Etsy, and another that almost matched. I gave my mom the matching one and I took the other. My idea was to start some kind of family tradition, I think. I've been a collector as long as I can remember, I have a kick ass stamp collection that I started when I was 7 and my grandmother gave me my Dad's collection from when he was a boy. I like collecting different takes on the same thing- I have 13 different copies of To Kill a Mockingbird.

I'm not sure if my Mom appreciated or "got" the gift as much as I thought she would, but I really began to like the idea of collecting these dishes. It somehow makes me feel connected to my family, past and present. Who knows where they're going to go, but I plan on making some room for them!


This is the cup I bought that matches the set. I think it's really cute!



3 comments:

Maisy said...

It looks like green milk glass. So very pretty. I also love old family things. I keep them even if they don't match. It's more of holding on to the memories than the item themselves.
Happy you found another one for your mom. She must have been thrilled!!
Happy Saturday!!

Lilly said...

It is cute. I am a collector of cups and saucers too. My grandmother gave me many of them when I was a teenager and didnt appreciate them until now. Keep collecting but dont forget to use them. That is the secret.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I work for an auction company and it is not rare to come across these dishes as we sell alot of estates. If I ever find them, I will let you know!

I think that is a very sweet sentiment!

Post a Comment