Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The January Blahs


January is the most depressing time of year, at least I think it is. I wouldn't go so far as to say I suffer from Seasonal Affect Disorder, but I definitely get "blah." I've been searching for some ways to help with this, and these are the best ideas that I've found, plus a few of my tried and true tips. Hope they can help with your January Blahs!


1. Decorate the rooms you are in the most, with orange, yellow and red. These are the colors that are in the sun and fire. In the long, dark, cold winter days, these colors will bring a sense of warmth and coziness. Don't think you have to do an extreme home makeover, place mats, curtains, throw pillows, afghans, and slip covers will do the trick.

2. Keep flowers and plants around the house. Not only will they remind you of spring, but doing a little indoor gardening is very calming.

3. I know this isn't want you want to read, but doing a little exercise can go a long way. Just 30 minutes a day raises serotonin levels and reduces stress levels.

4 Eat foods high in Vitamin D, it will boost your energy and decrease anxiety. The best sources are of VD are orange juice, salmon, shrimp, eggs, fortified yogurt, and milk.

5. Try some chamomile flower, it will help you get a good night sleep and decreases your morning moodiness.

6. Keep your insides warm and toasty! Drink tea and eat soup.

7. I like to set short term goals and incentives, last week the premiere of 24 kept me going, as sad as that is. It helps give me something to look forward to and the days seem to blend together less.

8. Go Outside- even if it's cold and you have a million layers on, 10 minutes of natural sunlight will work wonders.


2 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

omg-- I am right there with you. I started taking Vitamin d to help with the blahs.... I have been feeling better!! But i may all be in my head... either way it is working... haha

Mama Melissa said...

I have the blahs too! It is REALLY cold here this week!

Thanks for commenting on my hair and saying you liked it. :) I am still not sure if I like it or am going to. lol. But, I thought I'd give it a try. It'll always grow back, right?!!! LOL

Melissa

Post a Comment