Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's a Soup Kind of Day



It's really cold, windy, rainy, and just plain yucky outside. It's the type of day where you want a fire, a cozy blanket, and a good book/movie and the desire to do nothing, but hole up until the weather meets your approval.

Since I don't have the luxury of vegging out all day, I decided that making some soup would take the place of the fire. I used Nie Nie's Organic Tomato Soup Recipe and tweaked it a bit, but I think it turned out pretty good! We haven't had lunchtime yet, so I don't know if she'll like it or not- and she's the real barometer by which I measure all things.
If you want to make the recipe, it's VERY easy and took less than 15 minutes to make.


Organic Tomato Soup
  • 24 oz tomato purée
  • 2 cups organic vegetable stock
  • 1 cup (a dash more for creamier soup) organic half-n-half
  • sea salt, to taste
  • ground pepper, to taste
  • chopped fresh basil
  • 1/4-1/2 cup (to your liking) of shredded Velveeta Cheese
Heat tomato purée with stock until simmering. Add shredded cheese and stir until is has melted into the soup. Remove from heat and whisk in half-n-half. Season and garnish with mini toasts and basil.

If you don't have tomato stock or tomato purée, here is the easy version!

  • One can of tomato soup
  • Half-n-Half
  • 1/4-1/2 cup of shredded Velveeta Cheese
  • Water
This recipe is not as specific, as it's one I made up myself and I usually just eyeball it.  But here's my best guestimates!  Empty the can of condensed soup into a pot. Fill the can with a little bit of water to make sure you got all of the soup out and pour that into that pot.  This is the trickier part.  Pour in the half-n-half, while stirring, until the soup is the color of pumpkin orange.  Stir constantly until steaming hot and then add the shredded cheese.  Keep stirring until the cheese has melted into the soup. Add little mini-toasts if you like.  Serve Immediately!   If you don't serve it right away the soup starts to get to get a cheese/cream skin on top and that doesn't taste very good.  This only takes like 5 minutes to make and it's one of Spencer's favorite things that I make!


3 comments:

Maisy said...

Now that looks YUMMY!!! I only make homemade chicken noodle soup. I may have to try my hand at that. Sure wish you lived close so I could just pop by and have some lunch. It ALWAYS tastes better when someone else makes it.
I'm very impressed that Spencer would eat that. My 5 year old would look at it and go YUCK!!....I want a happy meal!
Keep posting...I just love all your posts.
Let us all know what else you cook!!!

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh that look sand sounds really good... I think that I will have to find some soup for lunch!!

Katie said...

She really like it until she saw the color- oranges and yellows are her preferred choice. I tricked her and put it a bowl that always has fruit. After she ate most of it I put it down so we could practice her feeding herself and as soon she saw it she refused to eat anymore.

Maybe next time I'll use some food coloring. Can you use food coloring on tomato soup?

The one thing I don't like about the blogging world is that you find such great people who live so far away.

Post a Comment