Thursday, January 22, 2009

I Made Bread and It was Good!


I was feeling adventurous the other day and I decided to make a loaf of bread. It was a lot easier than thought it would and it was kind of fun to make. Spencer really liked it when I was kneading the dough, she got a real kick out it!






I even gave her some of her own to knead, fully expecting her to eat it, but she didn't- she tried to imitate me. It was really cute and she started laughing so hard that she got the hiccups. It was a good moment in my road to becoming domesticated, well at least semi-domesticated.





Since making my organic honey wheat bread, I have made three other loaves! I'm pretty shocked myself. Even more surprising, they are actually really good. I rarely like anything I make, so this was a welcome change. The recipe I used is posted below, I hope it works for you like it did for me!




Ingredients

  • 1/3 cup of very hot tap water
  • 1 tbsp Honey
  • 2 and 1/2 tsp. of yeast
  • 1/2 cup of boiling water
  • 1 tsp. of salt
  • 1 cup of Honey
  • 1/3 cup of Canola Oil
  • 1/3 cup of dry milk
  • 1/2 cup of hot tap water
  • 3 and 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour


1. In a medium sized bowl, mix the 1 tbsp of honey, 1/3 cup of very hot tap water, and the 2 and 1/2 tsp. of yeast. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.





2. In a larger bowl, mix the salt, honey, canola oil, and milk.





3. Next, whisk in the boiling water. To cool the mixture down, whisk in the 1/2 cup of hot tap water.





4. Mix in the yeast mixture with a wooden spoon.





5. Add the whole wheat flour one cup at time. After each cup added, stir to combine.





6. Once you're done mixing and combining, start kneading your dough on a floured surface. Sprinkle with flour consistently as you knead. You'll probably need to knead, haha, for about 10 minutes.





7. Once your dough is nice and spongy, place in an oiled bowl. Cover it and put it in the microwave for an hour.





8. Make sure your dough has at least doubled in size, if it hasn't let it sit in the microwave, or other warm place, until it has doubled. Next comes the fun part! Punch it! Get all the air out and then shape it into your bread pan.





9. After your dough is in the bread pan, cover it again and stick it back in the microwave for about 2o minutes- until it looks like a nice sized loaf, but not too big or else it will take forever to bake.





10. Bake on 350 for 20 minutes. Then cover with tin foil for another 20 minutes.





11. Make sure your bread is done in the center, if it's not, stick it back in the oven, covered, for another 5-8 minutes. And Viola, your bread is finished!



2 comments:

lostintranslation said...

That looks yummy (and home made bread always smells sooo good)! *ICLW#39*

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

wow!! You go domestic goddess!

Post a Comment