Monday, January 12, 2009

A Mini Rant- Ann Coulter on The View on Single Mothers

There was a time when I owned an Ann Coulter book, I'm sorry and slightly embarrassed to admit that, but I did. When I found out she was going to be on The View I was intrigued, I thought she would have to be insane to go on that show, but here she is, in all her vitriolic glory. Immediately, she was spouting off about single mothers, saying their children are a "farm team for future criminals and social outcasts."

I know I'm sensitive where this topic is concerned, as I'm a single mother, but I really felt she was just trying to say outrageous things just to get a rise of the hosts and the audience. She went on to say how they're maladjusted, sympathetic to their fathers, and that children of divorce are just future strippers.

I felt my vision getting a little blurry at this point, the rage was building up. First, at The View, for allowing such a horrible woman to pontificate about her hateful ideas, and second, at me, for watching. I couldn't help it, I sat there for the entire 8 minutes she was on. At least she got rail-roaded by them, but it really bothers me that she actually believes my daughter would be better off with her father, as men are more likely to marry than single mothers- giving her a two parent home. That's just INSANE.

Her whole argument is essentially that single women and their offspring are the cause of the majority of society's ills. I won't argue that it's difficult to be a single mother or that more challenges arise because of it, but I certainly don't blame any group for pandemic social problems. To me, the most important thing is how you are raised.

Just because I'm not married to her father doesn't mean I don't believe in marriage- quite the opposite in fact. And if and when I get married, Spencer will know it's for all the right reasons.

7 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

responding to your comment on my post-- Yes OF COURSE we have a snow blower.... lol.... that was just Henry pretending to push the snow.... AFTER my husband has already made the path with the blower.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

ok-- now in regards to this post...

HOLY CRAP! I cannot believe they let her on the show! I geuss that she has teh right to talk about her 'view' - but all it did was make her look as ignorant as she sounds.

Maisy said...

I HATE that woman. I can't stand when people like her thinks she has the right to talk about things that she has never experienced herself. She sucks. She spreads hate in our country. The fact that people even give her credit or time just makes me sick. I think she should be shunned from people. She's a nut!!

Sorry...I had to get that off my chest. It's been in there a long time. :)

Rachel said...

What a bitch! I'd like to kick her ass, but I think I'll send my straight A student, well adjusted daughter to do it for me.

Unknown said...

I was home today cause Stinkerbell has an ear infection and when I heard she was going to be on I wanted to watch because I don't know much about her. I was so mad at her ignorance and arrogance. The single mom garbage was one thing and the mixed race issue was another. What does this WASP, non mother know about anything. Now I know why I know nothing about her.I'm off to see if I can leave a message on the ABC View site.

Mama Melissa said...

that woman sounds like an idiot... as i shared on blogher. glad i found your blog! i became a single mother by choice, as i adopted my daughter from china. :) feel free to stop by!!

melissa

Anonymous said...

One word: URGH!!! I took the "opt-out" approach to AC's comments. I refuse to promote her book by dignifying her comments with a response on my blog.

And I'm proud to say that I don't own any of her books. Thank the Lord!

Post a Comment