Saturday, July 25, 2009

My First Real DIY Project

I would like to preface this post by reiterating that I am NOT, not in the slightest, artistically talented. And my creative side tends to be a bit linear and inside the box. Good, so now that I've let you know this, I just finished my first major DIY project! I can't believe the sense of accomplishment I feel, you'd think I'd just painted the Mona Lisa.

The largest room in our house is Spencer's "playroom" I use quotations because it's not even close to resembling a playroom yet, but since that's what it's eventually going to be, I call it the playroom. Essentially, it's a room filled with my Mema's old (with a few exceptions)- furniture that my mom doesn't want, but also doesn't want to sell or give it away. None of it is good furniture, so I didn't feel bad about re-purposing this china cabinet/hutch.

__
__
Seriously, does this look like playroom to you? Not to me, so I decided to redo and re-purpose it. I really didn't like the hutch before, okay, I hated it; it was a china cabinet with no china and it was brown. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. This piece of furniture was so poorly made, that it was virtually indestructible. I know that sounds weird, but it's true.
For example, in the top part, the center panel doesn't open and there's a piece of glass inside of a makeshift frame that sits out about a 1/2 inch from the base. Well, that glass was glued in, caulked in, and nailed in. There was also an additional frame behind it, on the side you couldn't see, that must have had over 100 tiny nails keeping it permanently attached, forever and ever.



After an hour of trying to get that center panel out, I gave up. I took off the doors on the top and the drawers in the middle, sand papered, and primed the hutch. It took two coats of primer because the wood was so dark and not the best quality, so I wanted to be on the safe side.




Did I mention that the shelves were glued on and the back panel was staple gunned in all the way around it? Because that's what it was! I tried for awhile to get it off, but then I gave up. Oh, and the hardware on the bottom cabinets were screwed AND glued in. When I started trying to get the glue off, some of the wood began to disintegrate, so I just decided I would paint them too. It's not something I would have typically done, but my options were limited since I couldn't remove them. Please take note that the glass pane is still in place!

__

No more glass! I didn't take any pictures of the stage in between because I was so In The Zone. But I managed to pry the back panel out, pull over 50 staples from it (there were still a lot I left in there poking through, but I couldn't take any more staple pricks on my fingers), re-sand, paint, and nail back into place. I don't have a staple gun, hence the nails.

Getting that pane of glass out in one piece almost killed me. At one point I thought about trying to break it with my hammer, haha, luckily, the rational part of my brain took over before any shattering occurred. I finally managed to remove all the caulk and glue, but it was taking down the back panel that really made it possible. With that out of the way, I was able to get at some of the shoddy, behind the scenes, framing. Once I had one side banged out, it gave me some room to turn it enough that I was able to shimmy out the glass. Success!



I painted the drawers and backing the same coral shade that the accent wall is painted in the room, so it would all tie in together (remember the linear thing?). And I figured I had to paint the handles, because it would look weird to have some that were painted and others that were untouched brassy metal.



I think it looks a lot more kid friendly now! I'm going to use the bottom shelf to put some of her books on and the top shelves (the ones she can't reach) with some of her keepsakes and mementos. The cabinets will hold toys, crafts, coloring books, DVD's, etc.



The final product. I have to say that I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Even though it's not perfect by any means, it's so much better than it was before. And that was really my goal when I started this project- to not make the After picture worse than the Before picture.


  • I used an ACE paint for the green - Royal Touch Satin Wall and Trim in Parrot's Feather. Cost: $9.99
  • For the coral, I used the end of the gallon of paint from the accent wall - Behr in Cool Lava Cost: Free (well for this project at least!)
  • The primer was ACE's 1-2-3 Primer Cost: $6.99
  • I already had most of the supplies I needed, but I bought some extra roller heads and two brushes. You can never have too many brushes. Cost: $6.50
Total Cost: $23.48
Total Time Spentt: Approximately 6 hours of actual labor, not counting drying times.
So there you have it, my first DIY project complete. I definitely learned a lot, so hopefully my next undertaking will go a little more smoothly!
post signature

17 comments:

Night Owl Mama said...

wow IT LOOKS AMAZING great job!

STOPPING IN FROM THE SITS to say HELLO
ALSO wanted to let you know that SUNDAY-TODAY ONLY I am offering 3 extra entry's into my 16x20 Canvas PRINT giveway if you will or have left a comment on this new post

http://nightowlmama.blogspot.com/2009/07/top-10-reasons-i-am-excited-to-stay.html

THanks SO MUCH

Micha said...

I think that is huge and fantastic for your first DIY project! And I seriously love that 123 primer. I used it a year or two ago to paint over a laminate table (cracked, peeling, and BURNED) and it's worked like a charm.

This was an ambitious undertaking! It'll be so perfect for her playroom.

Kelly said...

Wow! It looks great. I love the colors!

Sarah @ Preaching In Pumps said...

Found you from Kelly's blog hops.

That's incredible!! I'm so impressed.

Hayley said...

That was quite a DIY trip you took! I think back in the day, whoever nailed and stapled and glued that crap together just KNEW that someday someone with good taste would want to dismantle it. But you prevailed! YAY! It's super cute... and useful.

Our Little Family said...

I stumbled upon your blog (I think from Kelly's Corner... Yeah, from there) and I absolutely love your blog. You're a talented writer and an awesome mom (our girls are super close in age). Oh, and I'm a SYTYCD fanatic and just love your recaps and reviews! I'm currently DYING to get tickets to see an actual taping.

Anyway.

Love the cabinet. You did an awesome job and it looks fun and bright. Way to go!

-Jill

Mrs. Walk said...

Katherine! I am super impressed! It looks fabulous! Love the color choices, and nice job repurposing it to be kid-friendly for storage and showing off mementoes. Way to go! Love ya roomie -B.

WhiteSockGirl aka The Fabulous Bitch said...

It looks great... and I love the color combination.

I simply do not have the patience to tackle something like that!

Stopping by from SITs

Aunt Julie said...

LOVE this! And the colors are cool, too. SITS sent me by...and I'm having a giveaway where EVERYBODY wins, so please come on down!

Anonymous said...

Looks great! What an undertaking for a first project. Nicely done!

McNew Family said...

Dropping in from the cute kid blog hop and noticed your DIY project! LOVE it!!!! Of course your daughter is beautiful, too! You mention that you were an almost success and then you found out you were having a baby? You ARE successful in the most important job of all - Mom!

Patti Erickson said...

Great job and perfect colors!

Unknown said...

شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
تخزين اثاث
شركة عزل مائي الرياض
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة تخزين عفش بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام
شركة تسليك مجاري بالدمام
شركة عزل خزانات بالدمام
نقل أثاث بالمدينة

Unknown said...

نقل اثاث
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة مكافحة حشرات ورش مبيدات
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
نقل اثاث
شركة تسليك مجاري
شركة كشف تسربات بالرياض
شركة تسليك مجارى بالرياض
نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة تنظيف منازل بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام

chenlili said...

chenlili20150907
air max uk
louis vuitton handbags
uggs sale
swarovski crystal
imitation watches
coach factory outlet
michael kors outlet
knockoff watches
nike huarache uk
louis vuitton outlet
ray ban sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
ray ban uk store
michael kors outlet
abercrombie & fitch,abercrombie outlet,abercrombie kids
louis vuitton outlet
tory burch outlet online
ghd straighteners
coach factorty outlet
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton
longchamp pas cher
north face jackets
louis vuitton outlet
michael kors
giuseppe zanotti outlet
pandora charms
nike store
louis vuitton outlet
kate spade sale

Unknown said...

201510.8dongdong
uggs sale
louis vuitton outlet stores
nike air max 90
Jordan 3 Retro 2015
louis vuitton outlet stores
ugg outlet
ugg boots sale
Canada Goose Jackets/Coats And Parka Online
Michael Kors Outlet Online Deals Huge
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Sale
Christian Louboutin Outlet Sale Cheap Online
toms outlet
Abercrombie and Fitch Women's Clothing
Canada Goose Outlet Online
Louis Vuitton Canada Official Site
canada goose
michael kors outlet
Louis Vuitton Outlet Stores Usa
Coach Outlet Handbags With Factory Price
uggs outlet
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
Outlet Michael Kors Sale Online
fitflops sale clearance

Unknown said...

Are you in need of good revelation to your competencies and professional abilities on LinkedIn? The very best solution is through Buying LinkedIn Connections, Followers and Endorsements. buylinkedin

Post a Comment