Tuesday, July 28, 2009

When I Grow Up

That's how I still think in my head, "when I grow up I want to be a ..." and then I realize I am grown up. But even that doesn't really deter me, I like to think about what I would want to do if I could do anything I wanted. If there was nothing holding me back, money was not an issue, and I already possessed the ability/education/talent requirements - what would I do?

When I was three years old I knew exactly what I wanted to be when I grew up- a Fire Fighter, a McDonald's worker, and Strawberry Shortcake. In the bliss that is youth, these seemed like the best jobs in the world, I mean, what could be better than getting to slide down a pole everyday, playing with a hose that shoots out geysers of water AND having a cute spotted dog that would be my best friend? Nothing except working at McDonald's, where I could eat chicken nuggets dipped in honey whenever I wanted and then go to play in the huge ball pit. Of course I was going to do all of this while also being Strawberry Shortcake.

As I got older people would always say to me "I bet you want to grow up and be a famous doctor just like your Dad!" And oh how I did. I wanted to be a neonatologist until I got to high school. By then I realized that science wasn't exactly my strong suit and I loved history and government classes. I never stopped wanting to be a doctor, I just began thinking about doing something different. Even after I applied and had gotten into William and Mary, I was fully planning on majoring in both Government and Biology, that way I could postpone having to make the rest of my life decision for four more years.

Then came that first Bio class... lets just say it left me irrevocably scarred and I never looked back, I was going to be lawyer and that was it. Except it didn't work out like I had thought it would, but I'm fine with that. Even now, that's not what I would want to do if I could do it.
There are so many things I would love to do, it would take multiple lifetimes to accomplish half of them. And they're always changing, well they rotate in importance. So here's my number one, if I could be anything I wanted to be, job. Don't laugh at me!

Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services. Health care reform is something that's very important to me. I'm not saying I agree with or want a national federally run health care program. But so many people are up in arms about not wanting their health care to be regulated, but it already is, it's regulated by insurance companies.

When I got pregnant with Spencer I had the best health insurance available- there were no better policies/plans than the one I had. And I was denied coverage for anything related to my or Spencer's prenatal health. Every single doctor's appointment I went to, I had to pay $500. And here's the real kicker, I was also ineligible for Medicaid and FAMIS because I had health insurance! Even before the astronomical hospital bill covering our 5 nights plus emergency surgery, I had already payed close to $7,000 in medical bills, and those were just routine checkups. Can you even imagine how much it would have cost if there had been any kind of complication?

And once again, I'm not trying to make a partisan statement here, but something needs to be done. Of course I don't have all the answers now, although I'm pretty sure I do (haha). But as the Secretary of DHSS, I would know EVERYTHING and everyone would listen to me and all would be right with the world.

Fantasy Land, how I love thee.

So what would you do, who would you be if could do anything?

post signature

12 comments:

Micha said...

Wow! I can't believe that. My two days cost a total of $500 and I only paid a $25 copay at my first prenatal appointment - the rest were without an out of pocket copay. However, the coverage completely changed effective about 3 weeks after she was born and the bene's weren't nearly that good anymore.

I really don't know what I'd do - but state run is not the answer. There's a lot of military in my family and though people always say "Well then you've got medical included" I have yet to meet anyone who is thrilled with the way military bene's are managed. So, short answer, I haven't a stinkin clue. Good luck on the job - I'd support you!! :)

Amy said...

Hmmm, what would I do? I would wake up every morning and write. oh wait, that is what I do now. O'kay, I would wake up every morning and write, but I would get paid for it.

I worked in the health insurance field before I became a stay at home mom. It is crazy the costs that are associated with care.

Already Happy said...

I have always thought it would be really interesting to make documentaries. I hate using technology and am not much of a planner or organizer, and I am barely creative so I know this is definitely not the career for me, but I always thought it would be neat to get to travel AND meet interesting people. Plus I am kind of nosy.

Honestly though, part of me still think I can do ANYTHING. I mean maybe not as specific as like president or whatever, but hey, I could go into politics ya know?

I think right now all of the possibilities (well, and the child I am carrying too I guess) are actually making it harder for me to figure out what my path is and what the next necessary step is.

And all I can say about the insurance situation is WOW. Thank goodness you were able to make it work you know? I can't believe we make it so hard for people (as a country) to have basic needs met.

chillynd said...

i cannot believe that you had to pay for each pre-natal visit! that is ridiculous! we paid $25 co-pay for each visit, for some testing, and of course part of the actual delivery... geez.

Our Little Family said...

First of all, I don't know why you don't pursue your dream of becoming Strawberry Shortcake. I think you should totally bring that icon back for kids like Spencer and Madddie.

:)

Second, that's terrible about your prenatal insurance coverage. They're so ridiculous. So, you go girl and change the world and we will all be the happier for it.

Finally, if I could do anything... Hmmm... Professional ice skater ranks high on that list, though I can't tell you the last time I actually skated. And, as cheeseball as it sounds, when I was teaching, I really, REALLY loved it. I mean, the pay kinda sucked, but even that didn't bug me. Although, times change and the thought of going back to teaching now makes my tummy hurt. Ha.

Awesome post. I'm now seriously wondering what I would do if there was nothing holding me back...

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Traveling photographer... I would love to travel the world .. maybe be a national geographic photojournalist?

Yep... that would be my dream job!

Unknown said...

Wow! I can't believe you had to pay that much for prenatal appointments. That's ridiculous!

When I was little, I had dreams similar to yours. I wanted to own a candy store, be a cowgirl & a midwife. Haha, I was an odd child. Now all I want to be is a SAHM. That's really all I aspire to be....probably because if I could be the next Duggar Family, I totally would.

Good luck achieving your dreams. I'd totally trust someone like you, especially since you've seen firsthand how you can get screwed!

Mrs. Walk said...

When I was little I wanted to be a veterinarian and a ballerina. I mean, what's better than wearing a tutu AND getting to play with puppies all day? Spencer gets me.

Veronica Lee said...

Hi! I'm visiting from MBC. Great blog.

Kelly said...

I'm so sorry about all the medical bills. I know how you feel. My husband had a kidney stone a few years ago and we just recently got the bill paid off. I'm almost 30 and I don't know what I wnat to be when I grow up! I think right now I'd say I want to be a mom- a mom who has a baby I can see and touch and kiss every single day. Once I can accomplish that, I'll see what else the future holds for me. I'm obsessed with the Home Shopping Network. My dream job would be an HSN host, or even just an assistant!

John & Michelle said...

I am so not polital (not that smart I guess?), but I have been personally affected by the heath care/insurance mess. My forth back surgery was May 21st. I was told last Friday that I am no longer insurable because of it. I am not even 40 yet.

I really really really want to be a mom. My back will not allow me to carry my own so adoption is my only option. I want middle of the night feedings, puke of my cloths, and one exploding diaper; Lots of slobber and tons of giggles, potty training and all the other stuff that comes with being called mom.

Momma Jac said...

I TOTALLY feel you on the paying out the wazoo for prenatal and preg care. My husband is a teacher/football coach and when we started ins with the school we questioned how many days we had to carry the maternity ins before we got preg in order for it to cover- the ins rep explained that on the 91th day full coverage would start and they would pay if I was to get preggo. So, I am sure you can see where this is going... like 120 days after I get pregnant, go to my dr appt and they proceed to tell me my insurance would not pay and I didn't wait long enough to get pregnant (wait long enough? first of all we weren't trying at the time and you told me 91th day hello?) Needless to say we made to much money for medicaid and we had paid over $2500 in insurance benefits that we could use!!! A southern girl MAD is not good! The bills were crazy high and it was the worst experience ever!
Sorry, so long just wanted to share! But I do feel the same regarding state run health care, double edged sword at this point!

Post a Comment