Wednesday, June 3, 2009

When It Rains, It Flash Floods

I feel like I'm an 80 year old lady talking about this "cray zee" weather we've be having, but it's crazy, so I'm writing about it! Last night when I was watching TV the local news channels (all three) kept scrolling weather alerts across the bottom of the screen. They made it sound like I should have an ark prepared, FLASH FLOODS!, tornado watches, hurricane like gusts of wind.

I looked outside and it was as still as could be. So I walked on my porch to smell the air (I have an amazing sense of smell and I can always smell a storm/snow etc., before it comes) and there was nothing in the air. I turned on our local weather channel, lowered the volume, and went to sleep.


This morning, it was bright and sunny as could be, it hadn't rained and there was no wind, however it was 87 degrees at 8m, yuck! The weather channel continued to warn me of this terrible weather that was upon us, saying flash flood warning. Well, I didn't head the weatherman and Spencer and I went over to Sara's house for a girls day. Oh, it was so lovely, except for the fact that it was 94 degrees by 12pm.


I wish I had the words or the knowledge to explain the air to ya'll, but I don't. The best way I can describe it is to say that it was eerily still and thick. You could almost see the moisture in the air and it stuck to our skin like a blanket of cobwebs.


But the girls were so cute together, and neither of us could get over how they really look and act like little versions of us. So there we are, us gabbing, girls watching something on Nick Jr., when the screen goes black. Then the the beeps start, followed by "ALERT! This is a warning from The National Weather Service" followed again by "ALERT! FLASH FLOOD WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR..." and then it listed our county followed by every surrounding county in a 60 mile radius.


Honestly, I've never seen a warning like that one. Usually they just mute the program you're watching and announce the alert while it scrolls across the bottom of the screen. This is exactly what it looked like.


I just crafted that little pic myself, so you'd get the effect, but that's what we saw. And the letters were much bigger, I just made them smaller so I could get all the words on it! haha. Sara and I both looked at each other, looked outside, raised our eyebrows a little. About one minute later I opened the door to let the dogs in and in one nanosecond, the sky, sun out and shining brightly, momentarily opened and let down a 25 second downpour.


That was about the time I decided to take the weather warning seriously- even though two minutes after it rained, it was still hot as Hades, there were no ominous clouds in sight, and it didn't look like it had even drizzled. I was even worried that I might not make it home before the FLASH FLOOD! I was so worried about all my new plants, either they'd be drowned to death or they'd be blown away (what my cray-zee mind was thinking) before I could come to their rescue (I live about 15-20 mins away from Sara).


On the drive home, the radio was issuing the same warnings, you'd of thought they were talking about a blizzard that would bury us all, avalanche-style, that's how into this storm everyone. Right before I got to my driveway it started to drizzle. I ran Spencer inside and quickly got all my potted and hanging plants on my porch. I covered my new little seedling with some blue tarp and staked it into the ground. (No, I normally don't have that sorta thing on hand, but I found it in my Papa's shed out back.)


Some of my potted plants that are all sad now that I've brought them inside. Don't they know it's for their own good! haha

I sighed in relief when I shut the door, calm with the knowledge that we were now ready for the FLASH FLOOD! I called my aunt because she was going to come over for dinner tonight, but we decided that we should probably heed the weather warning, and stay inside. Five minutes later the sun was back out, the rain a non-existent memory.

EXASPERATION!

That is what I felt. For almost an entire day now we had all been plagued by these warnings, and yet nothing, NOTHING, had happened. It was like a real life weather version of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. I'm not a Nervous Nelly or anything, but I do try to be careful in bad weather; I know that in a match up between me and Mother Nature, I don't stand a chance. I decided to get Spencer's bath out of the way, something about her being in water with possible lightening around us, really freaks me out. (Even as I type this, a little voice in the back of my head is telling me to GET OFF THE COMPUTER, a bolt of lightening is going to travel through it and zap the life from me!)
Right after I pulled Spencer out of the tub, then I heard the deafening clap of thunder, followed by the crackling of lightening, and then the pitter patter of rain drops on the roof. Outside, it's now a freaky shade of brown, blue, and orange- the rain stops and starts, but the thunder is still loud as ever.

There's something very refreshing about a good loud thunderstorm! But I've been in a lot of really bad storm systems and the thing that scares me the most are trees falling through windows. William & Mary was badly damaged by Hurricane Isabel in 2003, we missed 2 weeks of school, and lost so many trees. Luckily we had all evacuated the day before (about 12hrs before it hit), but there were fallen trees all around our house and all our furniture was either gone, or smashed.


So Spencer and I are safely tucked away from any potential falling trees. We still have power AND bread and milk! That's a Richmond thing, whenever Richmonders hear of any possible storm coming our way, we flock to the grocery store for bread and milk. It was more of snow related shopping trip until Isabel came to town; the greater metro area was without power for 3-5 days, and all the grocery stores were closed. Even the ones that were open weren't allowed to sell any perishable foods because of the power outages and flooding.


This is the what our weather forecast currently looks like. Lets just hope Spencer can sleep through thunder and hail! But thank goodness it's now 71 degrees, 94 is just too hot! Oh, and if my SYTYCD recap isn't up tonight, it's probably because we lost power.






On the front stoop, at about 6:30pm, see the lamp post light in the lower left hand corner? It's really dark out!


post signature

1 comments:

Melissa said...

Kind of spooky. I love to watch scary movies when the weather is like that. But I live In uTah so I don't have to worry about tornados so I guess we have it easy out here. I can't imagine being told we needed to evacuate and our house might not be there when we get home. Be safe and let us know how you and the plants survive :)

Post a Comment