Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Katie-Home-Maker

On Saturday, I went to the grand opening of a local JoAnne's because I had a 40% off coupon. It was a crazy madhouse in there. They even had one of those machines that gives you a number, like at the DMV or deli counter, for the "cutting counter."

I only bought a few yards of fabric, but I was really excited to make something. I hadn't used my sewing machine in awhile, since before Spencer was born, but I contemplated getting it out of the box and setting it up. I decided against it when and I thought about all the potential Spencer disasters that could happen.

I need one of those stands where the sewing machine folds into the table itself- I think that would be the most childproof. So anyway, there I was with my new fabric and no sewing machine. I decided to be brave and work on my hand stitching.

With the exception of a few hems, a few buttons, and a few holes, I hadn't sewn anything by hand in a long time. I thought I'd go the easy route and just make a simple pillow, enough to re-hone my mediocre sewing skills. The beginning stitches were a bit messy and uneven, but I eventually found a groove and it was pretty easy from there.

The hardest part of the entire process was stuffing the pillow! Ugh! Next time I'll just use a pillow form, because I lack the skill in making it evenly fluffy. Besides using a pillow form, does anyone have any good suggestions on how to properly stuff a pillow? I'm all ears.


Here is a picture of my sewn-by-hand, (how bratty does that sound!) pillow! I'm not brave enough to tackle piping, cording or ruffling without a sewing machine, so the boring edges will just have to do for now.

3 comments:

Hayley said...

I think it looks great. But I can't sew. Anything. At all. Luckily John can. And he cooks, too... something else I don't do well. But I can incubate two children at once, so that makes us equals.

And Katie-Home-Maker sounds way better than Susie-Home-Maker!

Maisy said...

I love your pillow Katie.
The color is darling.
I also love JF's. I was just there the other day. I painted some chairs and had to by new fabric.
How did Spencer like the store??
xoxo

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

uh... that looks fantastic... seeing as I would not even ever attempt such a project! My handing sewing skills end at button sewing!

Post a Comment