Friday, March 6, 2009

Sister Suffragette

The title of this post doesn't really have anything to do with my topic du jour- except that it's a tad political and I always thought if I'd been alive during the women's voting movement, I would have been, a fellow Sister Suffragette! Just say it to yourself "Sister Suffragette."


It just rolls off the tongue, doesn't it?

Before I start my mini-rant (don't ya'll just love how all my rants are "mini"?) I just want to clarify that it's not a partisan rant. Okay, so every morning as I'm watching the news, reading cnn.com, doing anything that involves listening to current events, I get more and more outraged at these bailouts.


Now don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-bailout, not at all. However, I am anti the bailouts that we (insert whoever chooses the bailoutees) have chosen to "save." In my opinion, the companies and industries that should be bailed out, are those that have the greatest chance of survival after this recession/depression is behind us.


Circuit City for example!


I realize that I'm partial to CC because I'm from Richmond and that's where they were founded, but they employ over 40,000 people across the country. I have no doubt that when the economy is back on it's feet that Circuit City would have had no problem in returning to making a profit. I think it's a shame that so many stores and companies are going under, while the government continues to bail out AIG, and the auto industry.

I don't want to say anything too inflammatory, because I don't really understand all the nuances to these economic questions and solutions. However, I really believe that the auto industry is going to have problems even when the economy has recovered. Their problems, yes- they've been exacerbated by this crisis, but they've been present ever since NAFTA was signed and they're going to be there after the recovery.

And I'm not saying we (insert whoever chooses the bailoutees) shouldn't have rescued the automotive companies, I'm just using it as an example to make my overall point: we (insert whoever chooses the bailoutees) need to be bailing out companies that have a viable chance of returning a profit once we're out of this recession. And I think that getting out of this financial fustercluck is going to be much more difficult with so many service providing companies and industries no longer there to provide, well, their "service."

I hope I didn't offend anyone, because that wasn't my point, I just wanted to vent a little and think of a world run by me! haha.

1 comments:

Hayley said...

Now I have that song from Mary Poppins in my head.

You're not inflammatory in the least, my dear!

Post a Comment