Wednesday, March 25, 2009

QVC Cup of Tea

Saying that my mom likes QVC would be akin to saying Antarctica is chilly in the winter. She LOVES QVC! For years now, I have been getting these odd "gifts" that are supposed to make my life easier, but I generally have no use for them.

That all changed when she gave me this set of spatulas that are perfect for making grilled cheese sandwiches! It has a serrated edge on one side and comes with a cover if you're not needing it right then. I make Spencer a grilled cheese every day. She has been on soy milk since she stopped breast feeding and I have had a really difficult time getting her onto dairy products.

She won't drink any kind of regular milk, even chocolate milk, only soy. Her pediatrician said it was okay, as long as she was getting calcium from another source- hence the grilled cheeses! It may sound lazy, but I have always been a person who tries to minimize the number of utensils I need because I hate doing the dishes. I always used the edge of the spatula to cut her sandwich into pieces.

I often made a mess of her grilled cheese, especially if the spatula was plastic. But yesterday I decided to try my new kitchen tools and I was pleasantly surprised! I told my mom, "after all these years of junk, you bought something I really like!" She was so happy that I finally complimented a QVC purchase of hers.

During this same phone conversation, my mom puts me on hold to go answer the doorbell. A minute later she gets back on and I said "what did they deliver this time?"
"Oh, just a few things for Easter dinner."
"What do you mean 'a few things?'"
Her reply was one that I don't think I'll ever forget as long as I live. She said "just a ham" all nonchalantly, as if it was perfectly normal to have UPS deliver you a ham.

I was flabbergasted! I said "please don't tell me you bought our Easter ham from QVC?" But she did- she bought our Easter ham from QVC.

I guess in these times of economic hardship, I should be grateful for that ham, regardless of it's vendor, but that's not really me. Don't get me wrong, I am thankful that my family has enough money to be able to celebrate a "proper feast befitting of the Lord's Crucifixion and Resurrection," (her words, not mine) but did it have to come from QVC?

I know you QVC-a-holics will probably not understand what I'm talking about and I'm sorry if I offended anyone else who bought a ham from them. I'm pretty sure that I will make fun (in a nice way) of my mom and her ham for as long as I remember the story, or until she gets really mad at me. I can't be too hard on her, especially since she bought me the best spatula ever!

I have addiction problems with Internet shopping- all those amazing items just one click away, my MeMa had her catalogs, and my mom has QVC. Where do you have a weakness in the world of consumerist shopping? Or do you not? I'm very interested in your answers, because I think there is a genetic component involved. Okay, well honestly, that's what I like to think when I'm justifying an un-needed purchase!

For those of you who are interested, and I hope you're not, you can a wide assortment of hams on QVC's website HERE. And the amazing spatulas, which I hope you are interested in, HERE.

3 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

So funny! I thought last night about buying something off the tv... and stopped short b/c I did not want to be that person... (but I am!)

I LOVE Etsy... I am pretty sure you have written about shopping there too..

Hayley said...

I'm just a window shopper. And not a compulsive one. If I'm window shopping, it's because I was already there buying something I needed/wanted. But I'm really suspicious of the Interent and TV... I like to see what I'm buying. And I think it is genetic. My mom is the same way, but she's twice as frugal as I am.

But my grandma DOES buy jewelry from QVC on a regular basis. So who knows.

You definitely need to keep us updated on how the QVC Easter Ham turns out! That made me laugh.

Micha said...

my mom used to buy me every silly little thing from those weird cheapy catalogs that sell nothing of value - the ones usually sent to little retired ladies? yeah. i ended up with so much useless stuff. ordering food though is a new one :)

me? i'm a window/internet shopper. it's less expensive than if i see things in person because i'll hardly buy anything sight unseen and the idea of paying shipping knocks sense into me before i go broke.

Post a Comment