Thursday, April 30, 2009

Books, Books, and More Books

Today I was perusing some Internet sales for Mother's Day, when I saw an ad/deal for the Kindle II. It sounded magical- over 250,000 books at your disposal, just $9.99 each. Of course the newspaper and magazine subscriptions just sweetened the pot, making it sound divine.

Spencer quickly noticed that my attention was not on her and I forgot about the Kindle until this evening. I was looking at my book shelves and thinking to myself how much I love real, actual books. Old, new, used, written in- I love them all. I have well over 500, the majority of which don't fit on my shelves. When my mom used to drag me to the mall as a kid, my one condition for behaving was that she had to let me go to the book store. N-E-R-D.



During college, when everyone else would sell back their books to the school, I kept ALL of mine. Yep, sitting on my bookshelf, making me look all scholarly and such, are gems like Aristotle's The Politics. Mind you, I HATED political philosophy, but there was no way I wasn't going to keep the book that made me think waaaaay to much about "civilized pursuits," factions, and ethical democracy. Every time I see it I smile, thinking to myself, "ha, I got the best of you, Ari! You couldn't beat me!"


I am terrible at all things math related, but where reading is concerned, it's the opposite. It used to take me one day to finish a fun book and two days for a make-me-smarter one. Nowadays I'm lucky to read a book in 2-3 weeks. It's rare that I can just sit down and read with no interruptions. But it doesn't stop me from trying! My friends always make fun of my because I never go anywhere without a book- I actually used to walk to the bus stop reading!

As much as the Kindle would be a lovely luxury, there's something I love about going to the book store, buying an actual book, and reading it. I like the sense of accomplishment I get when I've finished one and then placing it on my shelf. One day I might be ready for the Kindle, it's just not today, or at least not until it's in the real of being affordable to me. But to give you some perspective, it took me until 2007 to get an iPod.

post signature

3 comments:

Hayley said...

SIGH. I love books. The sad part? I HAVE the time to devour them eagerly, but I don't- because I'm so freaking tired all the time! A few chapters and I'm snoring, no matter how good the book is.

I miss the days of being able to read a book in a day.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I am with you... I love reading... I LOVE book and I HATE WITH A PASSION math and science... but I also hate clutter... and I have never been about collection books... I read them and pass them on. Most of the books I read come from my mom who reads more then anyone I know.

Unknown said...

ray-ban sunglasses
pittsburgh steelers jersey
futbol baratas
nike huarache
insanity workout
ralph lauren polo shirts
ugg boots clearance,ugg australia,uggs on sale,ugg slippers,uggs boots,uggs outlet,ugg boots,ugg,uggs
coach outlet
golden state warriors jerseys
ray ban
rayban sunglasses
air force 1 shoes
hollister shirts
coach outlet
chanel 2.55
lebron james shoes
cheap soccer jerseys
air max 2015
louis vuitton,borse louis vuitton,louis vuitton sito ufficiale,louis vuitton outlet
mlb jerseys
lululemon outlet, http://www.yogapants.us.com
replica watches
jordan shoes
air max 90
designer handbags,handbags outlet,cheap handbags,purses and handbags,wholesale handbags,designer bags,bags outlet,handbags wholesale,cheap purses,discount handbags,handbags sale,wholesale purses,handbags and purses,designer purses
nike roshe
louis vuitton handbags
valentino shoes
new york jets jerseys
hogan
cheap nike shoes
mbt shoes
new york knicks jersey
indianapolis colts jerseys
mizuno running
soccer shoes
0817maoqiuyun

Post a Comment