Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Pack Rat

I have a serious problem with photo storage and I need some help. As you can see, per my tech savvy screen shot, my hard drive is almost full. Recently, I've noticed that my computer has been running a little bit slower, but I hadn't given it too much thought. This morning, I accidentally clicked the My Computer icon, and I was shocked when I saw the red bar (which had always been green) indicating that I only had 7.55 GB left on my HD.



So I went to my Control Panel and started weeding out all the unnecessary programs that I download and then never use. I cleared out all my temporary files and anything that I could think might be taking up so much space. After doing all of that, I still only have 9.9 GB left!

I take a lot of pictures, so I thought I'd see how much space my Picture file was taking up on my hard drive. As you can see, I have 11, 576 pictures on my computer, for a grand total of 29.6 GB! How did this happen? Written out, that reads eleven thousand five hundred and seventy six pictures. I have a problem.

What should I do? What do y'all do with your pictures? I have a terrible fear of somehow losing my photos, so I am a paranoid backer-upper. Most of my photos are uploaded to snapfish, photobucket, and flickr and I make back up CD's- "just in case!" Even after doing all of that, I still can't bring myself to delete these pictures off my computer.

Do ya'll have an external hard drive or a drobo that you keep your pictures on? Any recommendations on how I can free up space elsewhere? Has anyone ever purchased extra space for the HD, and if so, had did that go?

I am a pack rat in real life and I guess it's now spilling into my computer space life. Hello Internet, My name is Katie and I am a computer space pack rat!


post signature 11,576

4 comments:

Hayley said...

WOW. That's a crapload of pictures. But between John and I, we probably have that many.

We take everything and put it on external hard drives, then we store them in the safe. When you need them... plug em in! I typically only keep photos from the last year and the photos from the current year on my computer.

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Yep, I use an external hardrive. I also weed out the pictures that I don't need. The ones that I know that I will not miss... I also print all my pictures and put in allbums... this way if something SHOULD happen... I have them!

Maisy said...

i agree with the other 2 comments.
katie...i lost all my pics on my computer about 9 months ago. all of bradleys pics....all our family vacations. i even scanned all our photos. i still get a sick feeling about it.
do what you have to do girl!!!!

Peta-maree said...

WOW you nearly have as many as I do (19,000 and rising). I got an external hard drive 1TB that I store all my photos and digital scrap files on and my computer runs so much faster now.

Post a Comment