Thursday, April 16, 2009

Freckled Relics

Meet Strawberry Shortcake, Internet. I've had this plate since I was a little girl and it's my all time favorite. Where I go, she follows. This may sound strange, but it's one of the only "artifacts" that survived my childhood intact. Through a combination of forgetfulness, scissors (for cutting dolls hair), drowning (for when my toys would accompany me in the bathtub) moving a few times, yard sales, and moths, I only have a few of my toddler/childhood possessions.

I have a Big Bird chair that Spencer now sits in, my stuffed dog animal (no, I don't sleep with it), and my plate. Obviously I outgrew the chair, and it would be a little sad if I still slept with a stuffed animal, but Strawberry Shortcake is still perfectly acceptable! But it's not just a plate for me, SS was one of my favorite characters because she had freckles. You see, I had (have) a ton of freckles. As I've gotten older they've faded a bit. but I still have about 5 times more than the average person.
Spencer with my Mr. Big Bird chair last summer.



I hated my freckles from the moment I knew I had them and most of the other kids didn't. I hated being called Freckle Face and Dot Face- which happened every day. Kids can be really cruel, and I soon began trying to find ways to remove them. When I was three, my mom found me trying to scratch off the freckles on my arm. She tried to tell me they were cute and that I would look funny if I didn't have them on my face. But there was nothing she could say that made me feel better.


For some reason my freckles aren't showing up very well in old pictures of myself, but if you look at the larger version, you can see them a little bit better.
Realizing she needed a new strategy, my mom went about finding famous freckles. This was how I came to love Strawberry Shortcake even more than I already did! Of course Punky Brewster helped out a lot too- I L.O.V.E.D Punky Brewster and that's how I got my nickname, Punkiepie. I was always hearing how much we looked alike and that I could be her little sister, which made me feel super cool! It may sound insignificant, but it really helped me to know that even though they had freckles, everybody liked SS and PB.
It took me a long time, a long long long long time for me to call a freckle truce. And looking back on those years when I was made fun of teasing, I realize that it actually made me a much better person. I have a lot of faults, but one thing that I'm proud about myself, is that I've never made fun of someone. When I was in 2nd grade, we had a new student from Scotland in our class, and the kids were just awful to him. I don't know why he ever came back to that school after his first day, but he did, and I became his only friend. I defended him until my classmates stopped their taunting but we stayed friends even after it wasn't a necessity. When his family eventually moved back to Scotland, he gave me his most valuable stamp from his collection (yes, I had/have a stamp collection, and no I wasn't a dork) and a kiss on the cheek (my first).

Freckles are certainly not the worst affliction for a child, and looking back, I realize I should be grateful for that. So that's why I still keep SS around, even though she is 25 years old (I got it as a present on my 2nd Birthday). From the ages of 3-5, it was the only plate I'd eat off of, which makes it all the more amazing that it survived me, especially considering that there used to be a matching cup and bowl that didn't make it!



Look at all those freckles! I was 23 here, and this was the last year of my life that I actively sought out to become tan. The next summer I started using self-tanner or I went and got a spray on tan. Now, I'm pretty much just embracing the pale!
So what about you, do you still have anything left from your little kid years that you use? And what made it worth saving all these years?

post signature

6 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh I am a freckle face from way back! LOL... I learned to love them and now wish that they did not fade as much as they have!

Hayley said...

Sadly, I have nothing left. I was a destructive tomboy type of kid. But I did love SS! And Rainbow Brite! I loved Rainbow Brite! And I grew up with freckles. They're really light now and aren't visible when I wear makeup.

So no fun plans this weekend, besides braving the droves of bulk-buying Mormons to find John a twin bed for the basement at Costco (I toss and turn so much that he can't sleep anymore). We have Cade again this weekend so if the weather holds we might take him to the park, but that's it. Well, and he gets his haircut tomorrow- so that should be traumatic! We're so boring! You? You always seem to be doing fun stuff with Spencer.

Divorced Lifestyle said...

I have an heirloom rocking chair - it was my mother's when she was a child, then my sister and I shared it, then my nephew, and now my 2 younger children. This chair has made it through 6 children, over 50 years.

Unknown said...

air jordan shoes
coach factory outlet
kobe shoes
coach outlet online
kate spade outlet
burberry outlet, http://www.burberryoutletonlinestore.com.co
coach handbags
oakley,occhiali oakley,oakley italia,oakley occhiali,oakley sunglasses
hollister pas cher
michael kors factory outlet, http://www.michaelkorsfactoryoutletonline.com
new balance 574
roshe run men
michael kors outlet, http://www.michaelkorsoutletonlinstore.us.com
louis vuitton outlet store
tory burch sandals
toms shoes
ray ban sunglasses, http://www.ray-bansunglassess.in.net
jordan 4
jordan shoes, http://www.jordan-shoes.us.com
mcm bags
michael kors outlet online, http://www.michaelkorsoutletonlinstore.us.com
coach outlet
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
ray ban sunglasses
air max 2014
mont blanc pens
cheap jordans, http://www.jordan-shoes.us.com
north face jackets
los angeles lakers jerseys
polo ralph lauren outlet
ysl outlet
stuart weitzman boots
hollister uk
nike air max uk
coach outlet
herve leger dresses
baltimore ravens jerseys
0817maoqiuyun

chenlili said...

chenlili20150907
new jordans
polo ralph lauren
mont blanc pen
michael kors outlet
burberry handbags
longchamp le pliage
tommy hilfiger outlet stores
ugg australia
michael kors outlet
mcm outlet
michael kors outlet
kevin durant basketball shoes
air jordans
burberry outlet
abercrombie
kids lebron shoes
jordan 3 powder blue
michael kors
michael kors handbags
pandora bracelets
adidas uk
fake watches
michael kors outlet
cheap toms
michael kors bag
mont blanc
nike sb janoski
michael kors outlet online
hollister
louboutin,christian louboutin,red bottoms,louboutins,red shoes,red heels,christian louboutin sale,christian louboutin shoes

chenlili said...

toms wedges
hollister uk
ray ban glasses
louis vuitton
swarovski jewelry
cheap jerseys wholesale
nike roshe run uk
tod's shoes
nike roshe run mens
adidas originals store
jordan 13 shoes
toms outlet
michael kors bag
michael kors
oakley sunglasses wholesale
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
louis vuitton outlet
ray ban sunglasses
cheap jerseys
ugg boots sale
coach factory outlet
louboutins
louis vuitton handbags
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton handbags
gucci shoes
running shoes

Post a Comment