Thursday, April 23, 2009

Doctor Knows Best

You would think that getting to the doctor by 10am would be no problem, but you'd be W-R-O-N-G! We made it on time, but only by the slimmest of nanosecond margins. Just as I was getting ready to leave, with plenty of time at 9:15, I realized that her stroller was in my mom's car. My mom had taken in when she watched Spencer last weekend and had forgotten to return it, or she put it "I had forgotten to take it back."

So my mom had to meet us at a half way point, because it's just not feasible to go to the doctor without her stroller. Then I realized my gas light was on and I am take-no-chances with gas kinda person. I've never run out of gas, but my mom did a few times when I was a kid and it always scared me to death- that we'd be stuck on the side of the road forever. This is why I always get gas as soon as I notice the light has come on.

Then there was not one parking space to be found and I circled and circled the lot waiting for a space to become available. I almost parked in a "non-parking space" but luckily I saw a girl backing up before the Mercedes saw it and I got to park!

The doctor saw us right away and he spent almost 30 minutes with us, which I thought was really nice. Basically he said that it was all part of her temper tantrum process and that's quite common. Unfortunately, it's one of the worst habits to break someone of and the grossest. That because it's easy for her to throw up combined with the result it always produces (I pick her up, soothe her and bathe her) she's using it to her advantage. He said she wasn't necessarily doing it on purpose, but that when she realizes she might throw up, she does nothing to stop it.

So the next time it happens I'm supposed to ignore her until she stops crying. Once she's stopped having a fit I can clean her up but I'm to act as though I'm just changing her clothes- not cleaning up puke because of her temper tantrum. He said I need to ignore all temper tantrum acts and when it's over, act as though nothing has happened. It's attention seeking behavior and any reaction, good or bad, has the desired effect she's seeking. When she's well behaved I'm to reward her and tell her how great she's being- repetitive reinforcement of positive behavior.

I can't tell you how hard this is going to be for me! I understand that it's necessary to break her of some of the bad habits she's developed, but I know that it's going to be very difficult for me to ignore her when she's acting out. My thoughts are generally "if I just love on her enough she'll stop doing this," but obviously that hasn't worked thus far, so I guess it's time to try something new.

She has a runny nose today and last night she had a few blow out diapers, so today is a rest day for her. The temperature has dramatically gone up and down here these last few days and I think that's what's causing it. Tuesday it was almost 80 degrees, yesterday was in the 40-50's, today is 70+, and this weekend is supposed to be in the 90's.

I really appreciate all the good thoughts and wishes about our little barfy problem! Let's hope this new method works without either of us going crazy!

post signature

2 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh I hope so!! You will have to let us know!

Mama Melissa said...

Oh wow. That's got to be rough. I hope this phase doesn't last too much longer for you. :(

Melissa

Post a Comment