Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Easter Tree

So I finally finished our Easter tree!


It was not the easiest of projects and a it took me awhile to get it all done. Micha has a great tutorial about how to do this on her blog, so I'll only briefly tell you what I did to create such a masterpiece! (kidding!!)

I blew out the eggs and microwaved the shells for 20 seconds. I cracked two shells when I dropped my eggs on the floor because they were H-O-T!


Next, I painted the base coats and let them dry. They needed at least 3-4 coats, and some needed as many as 8-9, to make the finish un-streaky and even. Then I painted on the designs- I think it's pretty obvious that I didn't use a stencil, I am no artist!




After all the eggs had dried, I sprayed them with a shine finish and let them dry some more. So much of this project was waiting for the paint to dry. I spray painted some branches white while I was waiting on my eggs.

I then threaded a pearl with some really narrow ribbon, tied a bow, and used a hot glue gun to attach it the egg. I got my hot glue gun for $2.99 at Ben Franklin.




I had a little trouble figuring out how I was going to arrange it- but I just played around with it until it looked right to me. I put some daffodils in and tied a bow around my vase, and voila! My first Easter tree.



Micha also gave me the idea to do just a few eggs this year and next year we can add to it and Spencer can help. But I'm kinda liking my little tree, even though I would have had an easier time wring a 20 page paper!

I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend!


post signature

3 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Wow! So creative & Fun!! HAppy Easter!

Micha said...

wonderful! i love the addition of the daffodils. beautifully done!

Hayley said...

I am totally doing an Easter tree next year. So cute!

So John saw your comment, ran downstairs to his Highly Evolved Desktop, and promptly ordered me Photoshop. YAY! So thanks!

Post a Comment