Monday, May 4, 2009

Mine That Bird Spencer

This may sound crazy, but I'm always glad when the weekend is over. It's not that our lives are all that much different on Saturdays and Sundays, but for some reason I feel compelled to accomplish 50 different things in two days.



Our weekend was not at all eventful, practically boring. On Saturday morning I hoed and weeded out one flower bed, Spencer tried to help me, which resulted in a huge mess! She was actually pretty good at pulling weeds, but she liked to put the dirt/mud all over her.



For some reason, every weekend in the South is filled with thunderstorms, and this one was no exception. It would downpour for 25 minutes and then the sun would come shining back, repeating over and over again. I was really looking forward to the Kentucky Derby, even rain can't keep the those ladies from wearing the most ostentatious hats ever made!



And this year's Derby was great, I love a good underdog story! Spencer had been really good all day, but wouldn't you know, she picked those two minutes to put a quarter in her mouth and show me. There it was, as she bit down on it with her four front teeth, smiling away. I tried not to make a big deal about it because I was afraid she was going to run and accidentally swallow it. I finally got it out of her mouth by offering her a tube of lipstick I had taken away from her. Of course as soon as the quarter came out, I took back the lipstick (I know, mean mommy) and she was NOT pleased.



Yesterday I ran a few errands and did some things around the house, fairly standard and boring. I think tomorrow we're going to go to the nursery to buy some flowers for my flower bed. I've never planted any flowers in the ground before, so this will be a first for me. I'm a little nervous about their survival though, as I've successfully killed every plant I ever owned- including a cactus!



Any suggestions about what I should plant?


post signature

3 comments:

The Kramer Angle said...

Hi Katie,

Well I'm not much of a green thumb and actually do most of my planting in pots, but you can never go wrong with impatiens in a shady spot!

Have fun with it!

John & Michelle said...

For a sunny spot, I love begonias! Don't know that I spelled that right...these are used alot at Burger King drive thrus. The don't take alot of fuss and grow pretty good all summer. We are in Tennessee and after the begonias croke in the fall, I'll put out pansies. Those little suckers will live all winter without a heavy snow or days of heavy frost! Post pictures so we can oogle your hard work! Good Luck

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

Oh how I wish taht I had time to garden! I used to love doing that sort of thing when I was younger... and now that I have MORE THAN ENOUGH ROOM to so, it is all over run with weeds! Dan asked me just yesterday why I did not 'tend to the garden' (with a smirk of course) and I told him that the MINUTE I was able to quit my job I would plant him the biggest garden ever 'just for him' -- he backed off! :)

Post a Comment