Friday, May 15, 2009

You Are Who You Love

When I was three years old, I was in love with my babysitter's 25 year old son. I wanted to marry him and I was quite jealous of his finance. For some reason, they liked me and I was invited to their wedding. I can still remember it- my embarrassed dad carrying me out of the church, while the ceremony was in progress, as I kicked and screamed and wailed that I didn't want him to get married! I shudder at this memory, luckily, years later, the happy couple like to tell it as one of their "funny wedding stories," of which I am the highlight/punchline.

It seems that this was a foreboding omen of the boys/men I would come to like in the future- The Unattainable One. Okay, now I realize that celebrity crushes are completely unrealistic and fantastical, but even most of my celebrity crushes were the bad boys. It all started with Uncle Jesse.



Uncle Jesse was the first poster of a male that I had hanging in my bedroom. Please note, it was Uncle Jesse, not John Stamos! And when he'd play his bongs- pitter patter went my heart!



Next came Jordan Knight from New Kids on the Block. He wasn't the bad one of the group, but all of my friends loved Joey McEntire. (This was when we were 8-10yrs old) My first concert was actually the New Kids, with Tiffany as their opener. We were like 2 rows from the top of the stadium, so I had to watch the whole thing on the jumbo tron, but it was one of the most exhilarating moments of my first eight years on Earth!




I first saw Gone With the Wind when I was in the 3rd grade and became immediately infatuated with the great Rhett Butler. I even made my mom buy the book- which took me about 2 months to finish. I still remember how crestfallen I was when I realized that Rhett Butler wasn't real and Clark Gable was dead. But he was so passionate, and he bought Bonny Blue a pony, and I loved that.




Now we get to my first real lusty crush- Chris O'Donnell. I fell in lust with him during Mad Love and even more so after Circle of Friends. I still have this huge (5ft x 3ft) Mad Love movie poster that I got for my 14th Birthday from some equally infatuated friends! No, it's no longer hanging up. Most of my tweeny crushes now cause me mild embarrasment, (like Scott Baio) but not Chris. He was on NCIS the other night and he is still foxy.


I was never a Leonardo DiCaprio fan, but I really loved Romeo & Juliet; hence, my temporary crush on Romeo Montague, as played by Leo DiCaprio. He looked really good in that movie, way better than in Titanic! (at least I think so.)



Jordan Catalano. Made my heart swoon with all of his bad boy, emotionally stunted-ness; Jared Leto, not so much. I have probably watched the Boiler Room episode of MSCL like 30 times. One of my first realizations that it seemed possible that the good girl could tame the wild boy. That she was so great he would change his crazy ways for her. Please note, this is an Urban Legend.


What about the rest of you? Who were you're crushes in during your pre-teen, teen years? Any really embarrassing ones?

post signature

8 comments:

Aprill said...

Your post made me smile and reminded me that how i was in love with Donnie- from New Kids On The Block :) I really was soo in love and my room was full of their posters, my times were full of them :) This name comes first during my teenage years..
I loved your stories and your blog. :)

Micha said...

Well, I'm one of the gaggle who was all a-flutter for Joey. And I was in that 12ish year old range (13? don't remember) where those crushes are life and death! I had the Joey doll, even. {Don't tell}

Others i remember:
Kirk Cameron
Mackenzie Astin
Cary Elwes
Mark McGrath
Mr. Darcy (the Colin Firth variety)

...and don't be embarassed, didn't we all want Scott Baio for our babysitter at some point???

Maisy said...

My Oh My, I love all your crushes. I loved the guy that played Johnny in Grease 2. Please don't tell anyone but I watched that movie 36 times!!
xo

Hayley said...

I didn't even start noticing boys in that way- on or off screen- until I was like 12. I think my mom worried that I would be a lesbian.

Chris O'Donnell was a definite and I first noticed him from The Three Musketeers. Of course, Leo in R+J, which is still one of my favorite movies. Gavin Rossdale from Bush (whom my mom was close enough to the other night that she could've touched- seriously). And here's the one that embarrasses me- Jonathan Taylor Thomas. That short kid from Home Improvement. I look back and realize that I essentially had a crush on what appears to be a girl.

Hayley said...

Oh, and OF COURSE Rhett Butler. I've been a longtime fan of GWTW. I sooo love that pic you put up of him, btw.

Mrs. Walk said...

I, too, am embarrassed to admit my crush on "JTT." Remember the Saved by the Bell Vegas movie where Zack and Kelly get married and Lisa makes Kelly say the good-bye speech to Kirk Cameron's picture? Yeah, my friend and I did one of those written-out speeches for JTT.

Unknown said...

air jordan shoes
coach factory outlet
kobe shoes
coach outlet online
kate spade outlet
burberry outlet, http://www.burberryoutletonlinestore.com.co
coach handbags
oakley,occhiali oakley,oakley italia,oakley occhiali,oakley sunglasses
hollister pas cher
michael kors factory outlet, http://www.michaelkorsfactoryoutletonline.com
new balance 574
roshe run men
michael kors outlet, http://www.michaelkorsoutletonlinstore.us.com
louis vuitton outlet store
tory burch sandals
toms shoes
ray ban sunglasses, http://www.ray-bansunglassess.in.net
jordan 4
jordan shoes, http://www.jordan-shoes.us.com
mcm bags
michael kors outlet online, http://www.michaelkorsoutletonlinstore.us.com
coach outlet
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
ray ban sunglasses
air max 2014
mont blanc pens
cheap jordans, http://www.jordan-shoes.us.com
north face jackets
los angeles lakers jerseys
polo ralph lauren outlet
ysl outlet
stuart weitzman boots
hollister uk
nike air max uk
coach outlet
herve leger dresses
baltimore ravens jerseys
0817maoqiuyun

chenlili said...

chenlili20150907
ugg outlet
michael kors outlet online
uggs on sale for women
adidas trainers
cheap oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton
michael kors outlet
michael kors outlet online
prada handbags
ugg boots
celine bags
gucci outlet
michael kors
cheap oakleys
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton handbags
coach factory outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors
michael kors outlet online
louis vuitton outlet
vans shoes sale
michael kors handbags
louis vuitton handbags
longchamp soldes
ugg boots cheap
gucci bags
jordan retro 13
jordan 4 toro
ed hardy clothing

Post a Comment