Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Dreaded Photos

So, my ex's wedding photos are starting to pop up on my Facebook news feed. This was the part to which I was least looking forward. I hadn't actually clicked on any of the pictures, but I did look at the thumbnails; for me it was kinda like putting my feet in the cold water before diving in. And to my surprise, it didn't bother me at all; I didn't have that sick, punched in the gut kind of feeling.

Everything was a-okay until this morning when I accidentally clicked on and maximized one of the wedding photos. It wasn't even the picture that got me, it was the caption- "Mr. and Mrs. So and So." WHOOOSH- all the air went out of my lungs and it was hard to breathe. I didn't even know why it upset me until I realized that I spent 9 years practicing my "Mrs. Katherine So and So" signature. I know that sounds so middle school, but I was in middle school when we started dating and that was the "in" thing to do. Then it just became my doodle, me practicing which way I would write my name; would I be "White-So and So" or just "So and So?" Even after we broke up it took me awhile to break that doodling habit- it was just ingrained in my subconscious.

This whole post may seem to negate my claims of truly being happy for him and his new wife, but I promise that isn't true. I'm not the best at dealing with unhappy emotions and my usual M.O. is to bury my head in the sand and pretend that nothing's wrong. After enough time has passed, such that I can confront what's bothering me without turning into a basket case, then I try and deal with it. I know that's not the best coping method, but it usually works for me.


So while I really am happy for the ex, I just now realized how sad I am for the me that spent nine years with him. Not that I regret a second of it, but it makes me sad to remember the type of girl I was then; a sickeningly sweet romantic, lover of love, love conquers all, love is blind, kinda person. Someone who saved every last petal from every flower, movie stub, note, card, and church bulletin. I was 24 before I could bring myself to throw away the flowers, some dating back to 1995! I know that I am definitely not that type of person anymore, but for the 14 year old me that just KNEW she was going to be "Mrs. Katherine So and So," I'm sad.

It's funny how the brain works. Had I not seen that caption I probably would never have remembered my incessant need to write my future signature on any and every available space. It wasn't until I saw someone else with my name that I realized I have probably been doing more of the ignoring of my feelings than the actual dealing with them. I have to admit though, it's kind of a relief to be feeling this way. In the back of my mind I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop, waiting for the moment when it, the sadness, would hit me. So I'm glad that it's here and, surprisingly, it's not quite as bad as I had anticipated.  But just to be on the safe side, I think I need to go on a Facebook hiatus for the next few days!

4 comments:

Maisy said...

Katie~
Thanks so much for sharing the story. You do know that every one of us has been there. I was engaged...had the dress, invitations ready to go out, flowers ordered, gift for my future husband and then I found out he had another girlfriend. This is a guy I spent 3 years of my life with. At the time I was devastated. I let myself be in "that" place for as long as I needed. Then one day I woke up. It was all behind me. I was ready to get myself out there again. Ya know....the human race thing. Not dating. Just know that all this will find it's place in what makes you you. The amazing, strong woman you are. Your life is not easy...single mom and all. You rock KATIE!! You have so much life ahead of you. Carve out your spot in this world. Ya know...the one that no one else can do. Only you can because you are the only Katie White!!!! The Katie White I love blogging with!!!

Unknown said...

air jordan shoes
coach factory outlet
kobe shoes
coach outlet online
kate spade outlet
burberry outlet, http://www.burberryoutletonlinestore.com.co
coach handbags
oakley,occhiali oakley,oakley italia,oakley occhiali,oakley sunglasses
hollister pas cher
michael kors factory outlet, http://www.michaelkorsfactoryoutletonline.com
new balance 574
roshe run men
michael kors outlet, http://www.michaelkorsoutletonlinstore.us.com
louis vuitton outlet store
tory burch sandals
toms shoes
ray ban sunglasses, http://www.ray-bansunglassess.in.net
jordan 4
jordan shoes, http://www.jordan-shoes.us.com
mcm bags
michael kors outlet online, http://www.michaelkorsoutletonlinstore.us.com
coach outlet
christian louboutin,louboutin,louboutin outlet,louboutin outlet italia,scarpe louboutin
ray ban sunglasses
air max 2014
mont blanc pens
cheap jordans, http://www.jordan-shoes.us.com
north face jackets
los angeles lakers jerseys
polo ralph lauren outlet
ysl outlet
stuart weitzman boots
hollister uk
nike air max uk
coach outlet
herve leger dresses
baltimore ravens jerseys
0817maoqiuyun

chenlili said...

chenlili20150907
new jordans
polo ralph lauren
mont blanc pen
michael kors outlet
burberry handbags
longchamp le pliage
tommy hilfiger outlet stores
ugg australia
michael kors outlet
mcm outlet
michael kors outlet
kevin durant basketball shoes
air jordans
burberry outlet
abercrombie
kids lebron shoes
jordan 3 powder blue
michael kors
michael kors handbags
pandora bracelets
adidas uk
fake watches
michael kors outlet
cheap toms
michael kors bag
mont blanc
nike sb janoski
michael kors outlet online
hollister
louboutin,christian louboutin,red bottoms,louboutins,red shoes,red heels,christian louboutin sale,christian louboutin shoes

Unknown said...

201510.8dongdong
Jordan 8 Phoenix Suns
ralph lauren
Louis Vuitton Purses For Cheap
New Michael Kors Handbags Outlet Online
Coach Luggage Bags Outlet Sale Online
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
michael kors outlet online
Louis Vuitton Belts On Sale
cheap jordans,jordan shoes,cheap jordan shoes
Gucci Outlet Store Locations
canada goose jackets
Outlet Michael Kors Handbags
Abercrombie & Kent Luxury Travel
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
Louis Vuitton Neverfull Tote Bag
Air Jordan 6 Champagne Bottle
ugg boots sale
nike trainers
Coach Outlet Online Discount Sale
Louis vuitton Official Website Outlet Online
Michael Kors Designer Handbags Outlet Online
Coach Factory Outlet Clearance
Louis Vuitton Clearance Sale
michael kors uk
canada goose jackets
mihchael kors bag
Ralph Lauren Polo Shirts Clearance
Hollister Tees for Men
Designer Louis Vuitton Bags Discount

Post a Comment