Monday, December 15, 2008

O' Christmas Tree

Me and the family chopping down our tree, circa 1990.


Tonight we are going to get our Christmas tree! You'd think that getting a tree wouldn't come with any inner conflict, but everything these days, for me, comes with it.


  • Conflict 1: Once the tree goes up I'm going to have to watch Spencer like a HAWK, even more than I do now! All of a sudden a Christmas tree isn't a beautiful sight, it's a death trap filled with choking hazards and potential crushing (if she somehow knocks it over).
  • Conflict 2: My Charlie Brown Guilt. Every year I always want to buy the ugliest tree because I feel badly for it. CRAZY! But Spencer deserves a pretty tree. On the other had, she's one, she won't know the difference, right?

  • Conflict 3: Buy a real tree over a fake one. This one gets me every year. We go and chop down a living tree that would otherwise have a long tree life, only for it to be put out with the trash in January. But if I don't buy it someone else will, and at least if I buy it, I know it will be loved. Plus, most of those trees are planted for the sole purpose of one day being a family's Christmas tree, if no one buys living trees are we then denying said tree it's reason for being?

Yes, I recognize that Conflicts two and three are nutsy.



I usually disregard them and put them in the back of mind. But does anyone else ever feel this way? How can you have grown up watching Charlie Brown and NOT want to take home the ugly, lonely tree?



I guess will see which tree wins my heart this year, pictures to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment