Thursday, December 25, 2008

My First Christmas Dish


Since I spent over a month writing about Christmas before it happened, I'm sure I'll be writing summaries about it for the next month. But I had to share this with you tonight: My Jello Salad Cake. haha- I made up that name, in case you couldn't tell.

I have no cooking skills, whatsoever. I have tried, but it just doesn't come naturally to me. I can bake, I make a really mean cheesecake, but that's about where my ability ends. Since I had Spencer I've been collecting recipes, practicing a little here and there, just testing the waters a tad. I can't have my kid growing up on fast food just because her Mama can't cook, now can I?

I decided I was going to make a dish for Spencer that she could eat on Christmas. It was my coming out to cooking for the family, if you will. I made a surprisingly delicious jello cake salad, but it was SO good. Spencer devoured it, I mean, licked the bowl clean, literally. I can't tell you how happy it makes me when she likes something I make her.

My Mema always made some type of jello mold for holidays, and since she died we haven't had any. That was how I decided jello cake salad would be the Dish 'O The Day. I used one of her recipes and modified it to make it my own.



Here is my recipe in case any of you want to make it. It was relatively easy and pretty fun to make!



Jello

  • 2 small packages of jello, any flavor. I used peach and raspberry
  • 2 cups of boiling water
  • 2 cups of Sprite or 7-Up
  • 3 sliced bananas
  • 1 can of drained pineapples
  • 2 cups of marshmallows

Topping

  • 2 Tbsp of flour
  • 1/2 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup of pineapple juice
  • 1 egg
  • 2 Tbsp of butter
  • 1 cup of Dream Whip



Instructions

  • Mix the jello with boiling water and stir until completely dissolved
  • Stir in Sprite and then put into the refrigerator until partially set
  • While the jello is setting, mix the bananas, marshmallows, and pineapples in a larger bowl
  • After the jello has begun molding a little, pour it over your mixture and stir.
  • Place in refrigerator until it's completely set.
  • For the topping, you are going to mix the sugar, flour and pineapple juice in a sauce pan.
  • Begin cooking the mixture on medium heat and stir in a beaten egg.
  • Constantly stir until it begins to thicken, about 10 mins.
  • Once you have taken it off the hear, stir in the butter.
  • Let it cool for about 15 minutes and then fold in the dream whip whipping cream.
  • Put the topping on your jello, saran wrap it, and refrigerate until you are ready to eat!
I hope you enjoy it!

1 comments:

T + 2 said...

That looks so good! I'll have to try it! I'm no great chef myself, but thanks to kraftfoods.com I'm able to put a semi-decent meal together once in a blue moon!

Post a Comment