Thursday, December 11, 2008

Save Handmade Clothes and Toys

Recently Congress passed the Consumer Products Safety Improvement Act which goes into effect in two months and will completely shut down small toy manufacturers, independent artisans, and crafters who have already earned the public trust. This means that you'll no longer be able to buy your daughter hair clips from Etsy or wooden blocks for your son. When you go to an art fair or bazaar, there will be nothing there for your children. Basically, everything will now come from China, which is ironic seeing how it was their sub-par safety regulations that was the catalyst for this piece of legislation in the first place.

Mom 101 has a really moving post about handmade toys and clothes here. I'm all for ensuring the safety of items that are around children, I get emailed every time the USCPSC issues a recall on something. But as long as I have been receiving these emails, the recalls were always for mass produced items.



There are so many SAHMs out there who have started small businesses revolving around their children and I trust these moms more than I trust any greedy corporation. Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, I just can't help myself! To sign the petition to reform, not overturn, the CPSIA, go HERE. To send a message to the CPSC, go HERE.



Thanks for all your help! Save children's Etsy Shops!

1 comments:

Sarah said...

So glad you posted this. I've been spreading the word like crazy.

Post a Comment